Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well the trans cooler lines rusted throgh on my 95 legacy im  currently trying to sorce a new set somewhere but i have a question about them. what is involved in replacing them? it looks like i might gave to remove the rear cross member and lower the rear of the trans to get to the bolt for the line . can it be done without lowering the trans? does anyone have any good tricks for this job?

I just had that issue on my '96 Legacy. I do not think there is an aftermarket offering for those lines. I got mine from subarupartsforyou. The only tool I had that would get at the banjo fitting was a 19mm flex head gearwrench I happened to have. That worked pretty well. Plus there is a slight bit of give on the trans so you can jam a piece of wood or something between the trans case and body to get a little extra wiggle room.

Have your trans cooler hard lines under the battery rusted out yet? If not I'd look at them since if your hard lines on the trans rusted out the ones under the battery are probably close too. And rear brake lines if those haven't rusted through yet and started leaking fluid somewhere above the fuel tank.

Edited by porcupine73

If it just rusted out along the frame just replace that frame section with rubber ATF cooler hose.

I've never had to replace the ones that actually attach to the trans, but I know you won't find them aftermarket. If the banjo fitting is OK, but the line is rusted out, cut the bad section off, flare the end and run 3/8" rubber ATF cooler hose from there to the radiator. I get it at Napa for about $3 a foot.