Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed with 84 GL 4 wheel dr wheel bearings

I have a 1984 GL 4 wheel drive with a auto trans. Every since I've owned it I can't keep the front wheel bearings to stay tight, they always loosen up and knock. It's a car that I use down in Mexico and has always been maintained by Mexician mechanics, so I assume something is missing or mismatched. I'm a mechanic and have personally looked at it a couple times and can't figure it out.

So long story short, I came across a 82 GL 2 wheel drive with manual trans. for cheap on C.L.  I want to remove the front hubs, CV's and rebuild everything and install them on my 4 wheel drive GL. I'm assuming everything is the same as the rear end should be the only difference. My 4 wheel drive in Mexico so I can't compare things side to side. Can anyone confirm the front wheel bearings, CV's and rotors are the same? Thank you

It sounds like the conical spacers for the front hubs might be shot (or missing), or the CV castle nut is not being torqued down adequately.  The '82 stuff should work, but make sure you use the two nicest conical spacers and the two hubs with the nicest conical spacer seat and splines.

Ferox, thank you for the info. I know for a fact that the CV and hub splines are worn on the bad car. What I did notice when I pulled the good car apart was that there was a spacer inbtween the two wheel bearings. I don't recall one being on the bad car. I bet that is the problem as the wheel bearings don't have something to press against and work their way loose over time. I'm sure that was left out previously. On a side note; do tou think the front shocks will work? I know they're differnt P/Ns, I'm not too picky at this point. Many thanks Matt

Yep, bearing spacer, which is different and arguably less important than the conical spacer so make sure those are in good shape.  

If I remember correctly, the 2WD front struts will swap but are a different length than the 4WD, and I believe the 2WD top strut mount is rotated 180 degrees to the 4WD or some such.