Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 2005 Forester, Fob, Locks, And Other Things

Hey everyone. Sorry i haven't been around for so long. I FINALLY got a teaching job, and I'm busier than heck!!!!

I just bought a 2005 Forester with 141K miles to commute back and forth to work, and I have a few questions / problems.

First... The problem. The original key fob doesn't work. There is a second fob that does sort of work. It will make the lights blink, but it won't lock or unlock the doors. The doors do lock / unlock using the button on the inside. Note that I discovered the previous owner removed the relay that controls the horn.

Any ideas?

Next, I would like to change out the instrument cluster back-lights to white LED type. What kind of bulbs does the dash use?

I'll have more later, but I'm starting with this.

post-13994-0-60986800-1443502883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sonicfrog

you could try re-registering the fobs using instructions in the manual or over at www.cars101.com (not sure but, car might be in an odd mode like Valet ?)

I have bought used fobs and registered them - it worked.

before i replaced them, I found that squeezing them with one hand while pushing the button seemed to help. But, that was with 03 Outback style so.....

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Yep. Even with a new battery, the original Subie FOB is dead. The other spare FOB activates the system... Well the blinking lights says it does anyway, as does the security system activating and blinking if I enter the car without disarming. But the locks are not responding.

UPDATE:

So yesterday, I took "Jake" in to the dealer to get the front brakes worked on. The rotors were definitely warped, and they replaced them and the pads of course. Also, they had a spare relay for the horn and put that in too.... No charge for any of that btw.

Now, the horn works... And so does the cruise control!

YAY!!!!!

I'm thinking the CC must be tied to the horn circuit.

I also replaced the dash bulbs with new 194LL's. The dash is rediculously easy to take out! Gonna look around for some LED dash bulbs soon enough. But for now, I'm happy with a brighter dash!

Next... The stereo. I bought a JVC today, but didn't get a chance to install it tonight. Tomorrow.

Also. I'm gonna pull one of the cam belt covers and see what condition the timing belt is in. I plan on doing a full engine reseal plus timing belt / pulley / water pump replace during Thanksgiving break. But if the belt looks bad, I'll replace it tomorrow.

Edited by Sonicfrog