Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Sizes Ej22 Sohc Ej25 Sohc

Do all 1995 and up ej22 sohc and ej25 sohc use the same timing belt? I have a lot of extra good belts from both engines hanging around. I'm also curious on interchangeability of other bolt on parts like ac tensioner , timing belt tensioner and rollers, water pump ect.  Is there a sticky on this somewhere?

There are 2 EJ25 SOHC timing belts, depending on the number of reluctors on the crank sprocket, at least from '99-05.

The 6 tooth sprocket : 13028AA230

24 tooth : 13028AA21B (I think it has now superceded to 21C)

Emily

interesting.

in all the posts regarding a 00 - 04 ej25 engine swaps,

and all the advice given about swapping the cam and crank sprockets,

never once have i heard any mention about different timing belts.

who knew?

Edited by johnceggleston

If you are running a non-interference ej22 and need to use a "used" timing belt, inspect for ANY dry rot. This includes every ribbing for splitting or cracking. In an emergency, it'll work if sound. But if the belt had 55k miles on it, throw it away. If you are talking an interference ej engine, don't even risk it. Drop $25 and get a Good Year or something. Serpentine belts are a different story. Those can be reused with less worry, though they can pull apart and tear hoses, connectors out or even end up ruining the radiator, so as an emergency to get you home in a blizzard, sure. To save $15 and stretch for 40k miles, it's still a risk.

• Like 1

interesting.

in all the posts regarding a 00 - 04 ej25 engine swaps,

and all the advice given about swapping the cam and crank sprockets,

never once have i heard any mention about different timing belts.

who knew?

...and this is just one more reason that fewer and fewer companies want to touch rebuilding the newer Subaru engines.  It started getting complicated in 2000. Now, it can be an absolute nightmare to get all the right parts together!

I don't even want to talk about the newer EZ30 engines!

Emily

I'm interested because I have two ej22 sohc phase1, two ej22 sohc phase 2, one ej25d dohc phase one, and two ej25 sohc phase 2 engines. Seems like many of the bolt on parts and the bolts are the same. I was hoping there was a list (sticky) somewhere that had already been compiled. My previous Subaru guru and neighbor has left the state. This is a good site for information, so I've been using it a lot in the last year.

Phase I and Phase II EJ22 timing belts are different.

Timing pulleys are all interchangeable - there's an old style tensioner up until about 1997 then a new style tensinoer starts. They are different but interchangeable if you swap the brackets behidn them that they bolt to.  The old style is way more reliable and nice to run in the past, but most are ancient by now.

You can do an ebay search on water pumps - and see they all interchange from like 1990-2004 or something.

A complete list would be convoluted and largely ineffective - The EJ22 changes every single year from 1994-1999....delineating all those differences and then deciphering if they're the same, interchangeable, or interchangeable with some effort/swap/custom/change/variance/CEL or not...etc and then EJ18, EJ25, Phase I, Phase II, EGR, non-EGR, MT/AT....too many variables.

Sometimes answering one specific question takes forever - with 4 different options and approaches based on direct swap/interchangeable with some extra parts/work/consideration, interchangeable with a CEL, interchangeable if you also change something else, willingness to do a work around to make it viable - multiply that by all the other years, changes, variables and you've got a veritable book on your hands...and then no one would want to read it.  They'd just do a search or ask in a thread rather than sift through pages of information for what they want.

that would mean writing a long book for free that would rarely get read...i'll let someone else do that!

Yes Its not simple I've been doing some phase 1 to phase one engine swaps and phase 2 to phase 2 engine swaps in several Subaru model cars The main problem seems to be if you swap a phase one engine into a car that previously had a phase 2 engine or visa versa. Mainly problems with the ecm and wiring harness compatibility.