Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ticking, no oil pressure after oil & filter change

A little frame of reference first... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141449-tridents-1986-gl-4wd-wagon/

So now, after 20k mostly trouble free miles Ive ran into problems. After a routine oil & filter change, I fired her up and knew in an instant I had problems. Ticking coming from the valve covers. Sounded like the passenger side, so I tore the valve cover off and found nothing amiss.

I've just finished installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge and have 0 pressure. There's not even any oil running up to the gauge. I used the small idiot light port for the gauge. No leaks anywhere either.

When I did the reseal I installed new oem cam tower o-rings and new oem seals, etc on the oil pump itself.

Is the general consensus that I should remove the oil pump and investigate?

The pump was working after the reseal, and before the oil and filter change?  I don't think I'd pull it.  I don't see a cause - effect.

Trying to think "what would I do?"...

Try installing the old filter.  = maybe something is bad wrong with the new one.

remove the timing belt, turn the pump with my drill driven 12mm socket.  A bunch of work, but you have to go here to remove the pump anyway.  I do this when rebuilding, before installing the timing belt, to prime the pump.  It takes a while sometimes.  You will know when the pump starts pumping, as the load will increase.  The lifter tick will not instantly disappear.  It will come and go for a while usually.

• Like 1

Oh yes, I've put several miles on her between the reseal & now. Several oil changes with no trouble also.

Update: After I posted last night I had a buddy over who said, like you suggested, that I should try switching back to the old filter. So I removed the new filter and NOTHING came out. What the ?...... I went & installed the old filter and cranked it up. No pressure, still ticking away.

There was no oil in the new filter after running the car? I would do as suggested above to narrow down the options. Despite it being a good amount of work to do so, I'd leave the oil filter off and tear out what needs to be out of the way to run the oil pump but itself with a drill. And wait to see oil pour out.

If that doesn't spring you some oil then it's time to start backtracking. What an extremely weird problem. Let us know what you findout. Persevere.

i wouldn't run it at all without any oil - if you're saying it's been started and ran without any oil, the lower end has probably already seen some wear if it's been heated up at all. 

i think what you're describing is hard for us to imagine since that never happens....no oil is moving but the oil pan is full?

then either the sump is blocked (did you leave a rag in the engine when working on it) or the pump is problematic.

Edited by grossgary

I75eya - Correct, no oil was in the new filter after running the engine. It's a WIX 51361....same filter # that I've ran since the reseal w/no issues.

grossgary - Sorry for any confusion. Correct, the engine is full of oil but the mechanical gauge I installed is reading ZERO pressure & the new filter I had installed had ZERO oil in it upon removal.

Believe me fellas, if this had been someone telling me this story with these symptoms, I would have a hard time imagining it as well. Especially when I swapped the oil filters last night & nothing came out! I was blown away.

After work I'll probably start disassembling to try & test the pump with a drill as DaveT suggested.

I can understand that point of view, but I also understand that it's a mass produced item & no matter what...some will be bad. I've been using Wix filters on my cars, trucks & motorcycles for about 10 yrs now & this is the first problems I've ran into.

Can you cut the filter apart and determine what was wrong with it?

Oil filters are pretty simple devices,  One that wouldn't even take oil from a working pump is very strange.

Edited by robm
  • Like 1

Nice job narrowing it down, how are you certain it was the filter?

Those wanting to avoid WIX based on one account - are you going to not use any filter that has ever had one defect?

No company will produce oil filters in large quantities without one issue.

Subaru had filter issues too a few years ago, had a recall about it.

If you google filter comparisons theres tons of cut open comparisons all over the web. "Bobstheoilguy" comes to mind. Comparisons are worthless these days tho. With all the lot buyout and lowest bidder type suppliers, products on the shelf could change by the week.

I also imagine many are manufactured in one factory over seas, shipped here, then boxed and labeled by multiple suppliers. Makes you wonder which ones are really safe, and it may have little to do with brand names. Ive read and heard horror stories. One of my coworkers just told me one such story with the no oil pressure with filter change. Not very nice.

Can you cut the filter apart and determine what was wrong with it?

I could, gonna wait til I write Wix and get their response. They very well may want it back for their own analysis.

Nice job narrowing it down, how are you certain it was the filter?

well, the problem appeared upon the first start-up post oil change. When my friend suggested the faulty filter as the cause, I removed it and no oil came out......NONE. I was gobsmacked. Old filter re-installed>started car>good pressure almost immediately.

I could, gonna wait til I write Wix and get their response. They very well may want it back for their own analysis.

yes definetly wait, and who knows, perhaps Wix will rebuild your engine for free if you tell them it damaged your engine?? Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

I must apologize, as I was wrong about something. Moreso semantics....but still. The new filter that failed was a Napa Gold 1361. Still manufactured by Wix so yeah....

The filter is going back to my local store and being sent back for testing. I know the owner of the local Napa here and he told me today that he had seen 3 faulty filters during his years there. I'll try & post back when I hear something.