Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently purchased a 98 outback automatic subaru and the head gasket blew on me. The engines got 130k on it and I was wondering if it would be worth it to choose my local shops estimate of around 2,500 for the whole shebang of parts they would do, they listed like taking it to a machine shop to test the cylinder and replacing water pumps tensioners pulleys belts. If I chose to do that route should it be smart to go ahead and get t rebuild with a rebuild kit with Pistons and rings and all that jazz or would it be more worth my time to look into swapping it ? I want this car to run good and im going to be trusting it to get me highway miles 6-8 hours away every other month or so. I just put a brand new radiator in it and all new radiator fluids so my budget is down to about 5 grand. Or should I just scrap the thing and buy a different one PLZ help!! Im lost

All outbacks after 95 are a 2.5. If you didn't overheat the engine badly, I'd do the headgaskets. $2500 seems unreasonably high, thought. It should be like $1500 TOPS. 

New timing belt stuff is $250 or so for an expensive kit, since all the timing components have to come off for a headgasket job it adds literally zero times to the job. If the shop is charging you for a timing belt replacement job (ie timing belt flat rate) on top of the headgasket job, they're crooks. Find a reputable subaru shop.

It's worth having the car towed a distance to a reputable shop, if the job isn't done right it'll have to be done again anyway. So do some research and find out who is gonna do a good job for a more reasonable price.

Edited by 987687
  • Like 1

It's worth having the car towed a distance to a reputable shop
Yes, but since the OP is new to subarus, he probably doesn't know of a good independent shop.  I maintain a couple of 90's subarus and my strong advice to the OP is to junk it.  The second alternative would be to replace the engine with a used 2.2, but only if he knows of an independent shop that has done a few replacements.

But in any case, do not try and fix the 2.5 DOHC engine or replace it with another used one.  A used 2.5 DOHC could very easily have been overheated and could fail in a short time.  Ditto for the existing engine.

How was it determined that the head gaskets are blown?

Did the engine overheat? How many times?

$2500 is about right if you're in CA. Including machine work and all parts. The big question is whether the engine bearings are damaged because it was overheated. If the bearings are damaged, you might only get a couple months out of the engine before it starts knocking and puts a rod through the block.

• Like 1

Yes, but since the OP is new to subarus, he probably doesn't know of a good independent shop. I maintain a couple of 90's subarus and my strong advice to the OP is to junk it. The second alternative would be to replace the engine with a used 2.2, but only if he knows of an independent shop that has done a few replacements.

But in any case, do not try and fix the 2.5 DOHC engine or replace it with another used one. A used 2.5 DOHC could very easily have been overheated and could fail in a short time. Ditto for the existing engine.

I do know if a good shop near me that only specializes in subarus and my buddy who use to have a subaru recommended them to me here is there website, do you thing there legit? http://ocautosites.com/RallySport/Shop.htm

Yes, but since the OP is new to subarus, he probably doesn't know of a good independent shop.  I maintain a couple of 90's subarus and my strong advice to the OP is to junk it.  The second alternative would be to replace the engine with a used 2.2, but only if he knows of an independent shop that has done a few replacements.

But in any case, do not try and fix the 2.5 DOHC engine or replace it with another used one.  A used 2.5 DOHC could very easily have been overheated and could fail in a short time.  Ditto for the existing engine.

This forum is about trying to help people, not telling them to junk their car because it needs an engine. Come on!

I'm sure there's a forum member in the OP's area that can suggest a good shop to take it to, or ever help out.

• Like 1

I do know if a good shop near me that only specializes in subarus

Ok, that's the first step.  Now ask them if they have done any 2.2 swaps, which are quite common, and how much it would cost.  You will not lose much power with the 2.2 and it is a nearly bullet proof engine.  Then you have to decide whether you want to go ahead with it.  

PS if the "good shop" is the same one that advised you to try and fix your existing engine, then don't do any business with them.

Ok, that's the first step. Now ask them if they have done any 2.2 swaps, which are quite common, and how much it would cost. You will not lose much power with the 2.2 and it is a nearly bullet proof engine. Then you have to decide whether you want to go ahead with it.

PS if the "good shop" is the same one that advised you to try and fix your existing engine, then don't do any business with them.

So your suggesting I just buy a whole engine from where? Ebay? The 2.2L 90-95's have hydraulic instead of sold and aren't prone to head gasket failure Huh?

EJ22's - no headgasket issues at all.  If they've never been overheated or abused the HG won't fail.

EJ22's and EJ18's are awesome engines - basically run forever without any major issues.

www.car-part.com

i have a write up on EJ22-EJ25-Ej18 swapping.  it's really simple, just a few details to know and look for.

I don't know if you're options may be limited somewhat by the quackjob state of CA.

• Like 1