Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS light on, ABS pump buzzing - after the car is turned off!

OK, so the ABS pump on my '95 Legacy L wagon has had a very slight leak ever since I bought it 3 months ago. Since I can't afford a replacement pump, I've just been refilling the brake fluid as needed (maybe once a week). No big deal. But this morning, the ABS light came on and stayed on. Then, when I stopped the car and turned it off, there was still a buzzing noise from under the hood. I checked and sure enough, it was coming from the ABS pump. Had to disconnect the battery, so it wouldn't get drained. 

In searching the forums, I see this problem mentioned in several posts. However, I'm not really finding a solution to it. At least not an easy and/or cheap one. What I'm wondering is, would it be OK to just yank the fuse for the ABS pump (in order to shut off the buzzing and save the battery)? Or is that not smart for some reason? FWIW, I live in SoCal with NO snow (and hardly any rain), so I really have very little need for ABS.

As always, any and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I think I may have found the answer (buried in another thread):

ABS Relay Sticking
Author: Subaru
NUMBER: 06-28-96
DATE: 06-11-96
APPLICABILITY: LEGACY, IMPREZA AND SVX EQUIPPED WITH ABS BRAKES
SUBJECT:
ABS RELAY STICKING
Should you encounter the following condition(s) please follow the trouble shooting chart as shown.
1. The ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor continues to run and/or buzz when the ignition key is turned to the
off position.
2. The ABS warning light comes on and a trouble code "52" for a faulty hydraulic motor and/or
motor relay is stored in memory.
Note: It is possible for this condition to occur intermittently. Under these conditions the symptoms may
not always be duplicated.
Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check if the ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor is running or if you can duplicate the condition.
2. If the Hydraulic Unit Motor is running, does it continue to run with the key in the off position?
3. Confirm the trouble code, if any, and trouble shoot according to the Diagnostic Chart in the
corresponding Service Manual.
4. Replace the ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor Relay with a modified one. The new part number is
26735AA012. The new relay can be identified by a white line under the word Japan on the relay
case.
Note: Always check the part number supersession for any changes.
5. If the wiring harness is at fault repair and/or replace as necessary.
The new ABS Motor Relay has been changed in production begining with the following VIN's.
Legacy (SIA built):
Sedan: T*206647
S/W: T*308128
O/B: T*374098
SVX: T*100004
Impreza:
Sedan: T*510065
S/W: T*810189
Coupe: T*410116

With that in mind, a couple other questions. Is it possible for me to "confirm the trouble code" myself? Or is that something that only Subaru can do? And where might I find the "ABS Hydraulic Unit Motor Relay" in order to replace it?

Yeah I've had that happen and you can either replace the relay with a used one, or just yank it out and put some tape on the cluster so you don't have to look at the light.

Those hydraulic units don't fail often. Used is a good option and usually fairly cheap.

Post in the classified here. People part out those cars often.

Or Try car-part.com if you can't find one locally.

You can pull the relay and try removing the cover from the base. Usually 2 small flat head screw drivers or picks (careful not to puncture your hand should you slip) can carefully get under the fasteners and the cover will pop off. From there, inspect the contact point along with any actual solder connections if any. If you have a 12v source and know what's what, you can apply 12v and see if/how/why it might be sticking. Sometimes it's an easy fix.

• Like 1

So, may or not be applicable, but on my '96 the ABS light would come on and brakes felt 'weird' on occasion - shortly after I bought the car a couple months ago.

When I replaced the struts a few weeks later, I removed the ABS sensor @ each wheel and cleaned the sensor off.

No more ABS or weird braking since.

GL,

TD

So, may or not be applicable, but on my '96 the ABS light would come on and brakes felt 'weird' on occasion - shortly after I bought the car a couple months ago.

When I replaced the struts a few weeks later, I removed the ABS sensor @ each wheel and cleaned the sensor off.

No more ABS or weird braking since.

GL,

TD

Mine does the same thing after starting. Sometimes it'll make noise until the first stop. Once or twice the pump sound started and the brakes got all funky and it wouldn't go out.