Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noisy timing belt tensioner?

Car has had a noisy "slapping" sound come and go that's appearing a little more now. Only happens when cold, and lasts about 5-10 minutes. Pretty sure it's not a piston issue as it doesn't increase with frequency if you rev it. Had been thinking it was something clanking on the exhaust but started thinking tensioner. 

Anyone experience a noisy tensioner before? Oil pressure when cold is 75 to 80 psi at idle, so it's happening with cold oil at high psi. Engine runs fine otherwise.

yes.  and i've seen it be loud at start up and then mitigate.

pull drivers side timing cover and have a good flashlight handy, see if you can see it flopping around due to loss of hydraulic pressure. 

Any idea what causes it? Is it possibly leaking out and trying to pump back up?

I'll try and get the cover off and take a look.

I'd get it replaced post haste.  Interference engine.  Jump a tooth and you're pulling heads and rebuilding them.  It sounds to me like a good time to get in there and replace cam seals, belt, tensioner, idler pullies and anything else that has a bearing or seal attached to it.

I'd get it replaced post haste.  Interference engine.  Jump a tooth and you're pulling heads and rebuilding them.  It sounds to me like a good time to get in there and replace cam seals, belt, tensioner, idler pullies and anything else that has a bearing or seal attached to it.

It's a 95' ej22, so non-interference ;) Belt was replaced when I got the car as they couldn't verify how old it was, so it has roughly 15k miles on it. Only leak is the annoying valve cover which had new gaskets installed. Probably should have added a sealant to both sides.

I think it's bleeding pressure off while sitting similar to a leaky lifter. Can't get to it now due to some personal issues. Always easy on cold-engine cars, so hopefully it doesn't worsen too much in the next month or so.