Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 2006 impreza has a rough ride,i feel every bump in the road. is there ant way to soften the ride? i used to have a 91 legacy that had lots of power and a smooth ride, until a woman t-boned me talking on her cell phone,i had just rebuilt the top end and changed all the struts  and brakes.

+1 ^ on tires.  

Try a touring tire that's rated for road comfort and a quiet ride. Higher performance tires trade-off softer sidewalls for firmer ones. Spring rates are definitely tighter on an 06' vs. a 91' which probably had really worn struts. Also, cars in the 90's and back (in general) had really soft spring rates. Look at a big boat car from the 70's dive nose first when you hit the brakes. They made for a very soft "floating" ride down the road, but sacrifice everything from braking to handling for it.

If tires don't help, you can try going with aftermarket adjustable struts like $$$ Koni ones. A lot of guys run them with lowered cars so they are not jarring the driver over every bump. Should work for stock springs too. Set to a "soft" setting and take for a spin. If too soft, try a middle setting. If tires and adjustable struts don't do it, consider getting some variable-rate Eibach springs. A lot of older guys that either lower their car a little or are looking to refresh the handling on older imports (German, Swedish, etc.) go with Eibach. I'd actually call one of their sales reps and go from there if you do go the spring route.

Edited by Bushwick