Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?replace cam and crank sensors while doing T belt job?

95 legacy--147k ,,,,clean car with 2.2L

cam or crank sensor would probably leave you stranded if they failed right?

I don't like just throwing money out there for parts but would it make sense to change them now?

$85.10 ea online at walker renton subaru on west cost

Autzone has non oem for:

cam--$57

crank--$24...!

What to do.....?

Very rarely fail.   When they do they don't always leave you stranded.  I wouldn't replace them.  They're so easy to replace, buy two used ones. 

Fuel pump, alternator, coil pack, starter...probably a few other things are probably more likely to fail and leave you stranded.

You'd be better off replacing the fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, and fresh oil. If it's still running the factory knock sensor, that seems to definitely fail and lots of us are replacing them within 30k miles of you. They either crack, or the wiring breaks contact internally at the 90 degree bend it has to make to face the factory connector. Coils can get weaker over time, but still provide enough spark to run. Your call there.

I agree with replacing other "normal maintenance" items, but the crank sensor will leave you stranded if it fails.

I also agree on the "rarely goes out" as well.  Both of them are simply using magnetics to read the position of the crank/cam.  There are no moving parts to the sensors themselves and unlike other sensors they are not in the exhaust flow, fuel flow, air flow, etc...  and not required to read liquids or air making them very rare to fail compared to other sensors in the system (such as the MAF).

They're so easy to change, its not necessary to change them during a belt job.

One thing I do make sure of, is that the crank sensor can be easily removed from the oil pump housing. The housing corrodes and can cause the sensor to get stuck, and often requires destroying the sensor to get it out. I always make an attempt to remove the old sensor, clean the bore and apply antiseize to the sensor and bore, so that IF it goes bad its easy to change.

If the old sensor is stuck, leave it alone.