Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 outback blowing out rear cam seal

I am working on a 2001 ourback that likes to blow out the rear cam seal on the passengers head.  I have put three of them in and they all push out shortly after the car is started up.  I have been told that the seal should need to be driven in, but these can be pushed in by hand.  I have tried to use some sealant to hold them in place, but they still come out.  I have checked the carrier that holds the cam in place and provides the clamp for the seal and the bolts are all very tight.  I am using OEM seals.  What could I do to remedy this problem?  I am now looking at replacing the head so that the customer can have his car back, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

When you push the seal in by hand, does it bottom out in the bore?

I don't think there's a drain hole in the bottom of those because the bearing caps are bolted on, but check carefully. If the drain is clogged it will certainly push the seal out.

What kind of oil is in it?

I checked the PCV valve and it is fine.  The hoses are all routed the correct way and the car came to the shop because it blew out the cap.  I built the motor for the guy and he drove it for several months before this happened.  I will note that I did not have to put these caps in the heads because the heads were already on the engine.  I just put new HG's and other seals on it and then installed the engine.  I have never messed with these caps before.  I have been told that it is not supposed to go in by hand and that it should have to be driven in with a seal installer.  I am not sure why the head seems loose in that area as everything seems to be tightened to specs.  The cap does bottom out and when I looked at another head that I had laying around, it also had the cap bottomed out.  To be honest, I am frustrated at this occurrence.  It looks like my buddy and I are just going to use another head that we have laying around and make the owner happy.  Not looking forward to doing another head, but we want this guy to be happy.

I appreciate everyone's comments and to all I offer up a heartfelt Thank You.  If anyone thinks they have a solution, jump in and let me know.

Super tack gasket sealant may hold it. Have to clean the seal area very thoroughly before applying.

Not sure why an OEM seal won't stay put. I've almost always been able to push the seals in by hand, but with some difficulty, and coated in ATF or fresh oil. Never had one pop out.

Possible the cap is stretched, or someone went to town in there with some sand paper trying to clean it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the head replacement last Thursday and found out the problem once the head was off the car.  Someone replaced the seal in the past and thought it was a good idea to slather the seal up with gray RTV.  In the process of installing the seal they bolcked the oil return passage.  We couldn't find the passage with the head on the car and didn't see one in the head until we started probing once it was out.  It was just producing too much pressure for the seal to stay in.  Some people shaould just refrain from working on cars.  Glad that we got the car back to its owner and that he won't hve the problem anymore.