Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Convert an older EA82 from carb to EFI>

I'm looking to buy a new EA 82 subee to build, but having trouble finding what I want. It has to have EFI,  5 speed, and the hi-lo 4x4.   So far I have not found any, How hard would it be to convert a older model GL to the later EFI ? Or would it be more trouble than it's worth? The main thing I think would be the hardest is the wiring. Should I try it or just start with an EFI car in the beginning.

Its really not as hard as it seems. There are writeups floating around out there covering the subject, and its a pretty simple system. Parts for the spfi are drying up, where as a carbed car could be converted to a Weber. I personally prefur the SPFI, but the lack of parts is a bit annoying.

The intake manifold/throttle body is most of the system. Youll also need the intake boot with the MAF (maybe the filter housing too), the disty and fuel pump.

May I ask you Why?

I understand the problems that an Old, feedback Hitachi carburetor gives; but you can Weberize the engine easily, and a weber carb is Reliable, provides almost the same power than the SPFi plus the unique induction noise...  :burnout: 

I just like the way the EFI motor runs compared to any carb versions, I have ever had plus my best carbed motor got about 26 MPG and my current EFI get 34 MPG and has more power, and It is less problematic IMHO as well.

You would want the front harness,ECU, and intake and related bits off a SPFI.

I have a 4x4 hi lo transmission and clutch and flywheel I don't need . I should have the rear diff around also.

Do you deliver to N. Idaho? LOL I could use the parts mainly the tranny,  so whats the deal with them.

would it be simpler to get the engine/wiring you want and swap the trans if needed?  trans swaps are easy.

get a PT4WD single range, or FT4WD and swap to a dual range.

if you're patient and have time you could do the FI conversion - there's enough guidance and information here to pull it off.

but yeah, it would be easier to get what you want in the beginning.

i have a severe distaste for carburetors as well.

Well you can go SPFI bt I've tried it and it caused many issues. Maybe I was unlucky. My history with my ea81 is relevant to the whole story.

Purchased the ea81 for my trike mated to a VW 3 speed vintage automatic trans. Pulling a "too heavy" trailer I supercharged the engine. Pulling 100hp at the wheels was amazing but tuning issues and that it swallowed gas like a space shuttle, I went SPFI. With the ea81 you have to grind 2-3mm off the top of the crankcase halves otherwise the larger SPFI manifold will rock and wont bolt down. Be careful not to grind away too much...there isn't a lot of meat there.

The system went on ok. But it wouldn't run right. So I replaced the MAF at huge cost. Then the throttle sensor. A USMB member from Canada was kind enough to seek 2 good TPS's from a local junk yard to send to me in Oz. My old one was really bad inside it. Eventually I gave in but not till the engine broke a piston ring. Bare in mind the SPFI engine ran 9.5:1 not 8.7:1 and one might have less compression on a worn engine.

The engine was fully reconditioned and a weber 38/38 synchronic carb put on. Big mistake. That carb when tuned ran the engine at only 52 hp ATW. So I put on a good 32/36 progressive and bingo- pure power. Reckon at a guess I have around 80hp maybe bit more comparing to the supercharged and 38/38 set ups.

In my opinion, seriously, with part becoming scarce and expensive, go the weber. Make sure you get a good used or new weber 32/36. You don't need a choke. Keep it simple. Pump the throttle 5 times and start. Easy. Tuning- again easy. I tuned my carb with a colortune unit to get the right jets. I googled a lot to learn the rough setting others have then tweeked it from there. It is really economical as the primary throat is used without the secondary 95% of the time. Even cruising at 75mph its still on the primary throat. Gun it and you have really good reliable power.

Finally, the best thing I ever did was get a full rebuild. The second best thing was the 32/36 weber. By the way I run the SPFI manifold and its much larger. I think it helps overall. To do this you need a custom "angled" mount. But the stock ea82 manifold should be fine.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I just like the way the EFI motor runs compared to any carb versions, I have ever had plus my best carbed motor got about 26 MPG and my current EFI get 34 MPG and has more power, and It is less problematic IMHO as well.

My EA81 with stock Hitachi gets 30-32 mpg on th highway... just sayin Edited by Sapper 157

Too bad the hitachi is so annoying. Ive never gotten over 24-25 with them, but I never use my cars for highway driving. Tweetys issues sound a bit like the problems Ive had with my swaps and it was due to fuel delivery issues. That was the most trying part of the swap, feeding that injector is not as easy as GDs write up leads on. At least in my experiance.

I wont do the swap anymore because the parts are just getting too hard to find. Ive got my current hitachi rig running great, and if it fails, a weber will cover the hole it will leave behind after I toss it in the scrap pile.

• Like 1

The transmission is out of a 1987 wagon. It was very rusted. It ran ok when I got it, was going to use it as a winter / beater car. I put in a new clutch. Almost got it registered. Then I got another in better condition, so I registered it instead. The 87 still had way more value in parts for me to keep my others going than I could get selling it, so I disassembled it and sold the sheet metal for scrap. The 4 speed trans has been stored in my climate controled basement ever since. I think the car had between 100 and 150k miles. I am in CT.

... I went SPFI. With the ea81 you have to grind 2-3mm off the top of the crankcase halves otherwise the larger SPFI manifold will rock and wont bolt down. ...

Usually, we elongate the Holes for the Bolts at the SPFi intake manifold, to mate it to the EA81 Block. You used another way to get same Achievement as well...

Too bad the hitachi is so annoying. ...

In fact, a New, Non-Feedback hitachi carburetor is Great, and that is the Reason why certain forum members in other countries like Australia, will never Understand our Love for the Weber Carburetors: They never received a True Feedback Hitachi Carburetor with O2 sensors, more Sensors, lots of vacuum hoses, etc... 

Sorry for Hijack the Thread, Kind Regards.

• Like 1