Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just bought my first subaru it is a 1996 subaru legacy L auto, i know its not a sti but i was wondering what you guus thought about putting money into to make it look nice..... i like the bodystyle and it only has 100,000 miles due to it being driven by a older lady (PO) please let me know your opnion or tips thanks

Any brands you recommend?

No, I have not bought any after market alloy wheels. Plenty to see at most tire stores. They like to sell alloy wheels and replacement tires. My reservation about alloy wheels, is if you live where the roads develop pot holes in the late winter to early spring from the thaw and refreeze of snow and ice. Alloy wheels are known to break, and blow out tires if you hit a really bad pot hole at speed. My daughter blew out two alloy wheels and tires, when she lived in Pittsburgh going to college. What an expensive PITA to get those wheels/tires replaced.There may not have been as much damage, had the car not had low profile tires with little sidewalls. Going to a 17 or 18" tire will be low profile tires.

As described above by Ol' Subaru Guy, the 15" Subaru 5 spoke alloys will prolly be just fine. Chuck hole damage with a 15" tire is not as likely.

Go to tirerack.com and type in your make/model/year and glance at their rim selections. 16"  to 17" rims should make the car look nicer. 18" might be too big. They have a TON of rims available and their major distribution hub is near Indianapolis (can't remember if they offer free shipping or not but if not it's actually close enough to you to maybe pick up on a weekend). I paid through the nose to ship some desirable BBS rims from a private seller in CA to OH for my Saab that needed refinished. Someone mentioned tirerack for tires, so went there to look at their tire selection and found out they sold high-end rims at low to middle-end prices. Was kinda irked as I would have just bought a new set and been done with it had I known how affordable their selection was. Even better, is they list the actual weight of their rims so if you are worried about too much unsprung weight, you can narrow the selection down to 16-17 pound rims in 17". If you ignore weight, you might end up getting 27-32 pound rims, which when totaled up can be 40-60 MORE weight on the car which will actually hurt everything from braking to handling to acceleration, and being unsprung weight you just don't want that.

From there, you might want to look at JDM extras like a hood, tail lights, front bumper cover, grill, ground effects, better seats, door panels, etc.