Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subi gave its life to me

Been off the board for a number of years, but still into subarus, figgured I would post some said news.  Good news is this will motivate me to get my first subaru (81 wagon) running and daily driving again.  Haven't figgured out what to do about the damaged car, it's totaled (in my opinon) but has a lot of cool parts on it, you guys will be the first to know, but it will probably be a while till I get an answer from the insurance company.

Story goes, skip this is you don't like reading first hand accounts just read the last couple lines of the post.

I was stopped due to the 4 lane highway merging down
to 2 lanes, it always backs up there every night around quitin time  Anyways there was a big gap in
traffic behind me because I let all these rat racers just go on by, I
had just come to a stop at the end of a line of 50 cars, when I noticed a
set of headlights comming up fast behind me, I tapped my brakes to
flash my brake lights they didn't seem to notice, luckily at the last
second they swerved but nailed the passenger/rear of my car.  I think
they were doing 65 or 55 mph when they hit me.  I almost did a 360, and
ended up on the left side of the road luckily out of traffic.  I
immediately got out of the car, and within 10 seconds there was another
crash as another car got nailed.  Subi was still running so I tried to
back it further off the road but only made it a foot then it died and I
couldn't restart it.

Luckily I didn't hit the car in front
of me, because he heard the noise and floored it, I must have missed him
by inches.  He was nice pulled over and called CHP gave a statement
that we were all just parked in a long line of cars etc etc.

I was a little flustered after the accident and subsequent second
accident that I was unable to identify the car that hit me with
certainty, it was really dark and before they hit me all I saw was a
vehicle with headlights and fog lights coming up fast behind me. 
Apparently they were able to drive down the road a little to get away
from the carnage, I was unable to actually locate them and never talked
to them but the Sheriffs found them and they are on the report, they
have insurance so we will see how it goes.  I don't remember them asking
if I was ok as they drove away, I just remembered a bent up silver'ish
pickup driving away after hitting another car. So initially I told the officer it was a hit and run, since I didn't see where they went and they made no effort to see if I, the person they ran into was ok.

Anyway I am fine just a stiff neck, whiplash (doctor speak Cervial Strain), X-rays looked clean and neck is getting better everyday.  3rd day my neck felt like it ran a marathon.

Anyways #2 wherever I pointed this car it took me there, community collage, collage, skiing, mt biking, new jobs, old jobs, old friends, new friends, someone called it the adventuremobile and it truly was, it will be missed, but I am alive because it was there for me.

Take care out there.

Edited by Subi81
Deleted images

WOAH! 

car did it's job, glad you're okay.

that's some serious damage, that second photo is nuts - the rear gate looks almost parallel to the side doors.

i dove, moving quickly, horizontal to the floor and slammed my head against a wall earlier this year, tight neck for a few days and odd feelings in the neck for a couple months. take care of it and get it checked out, second opinions if necessary, and do whatever they tell you for  PT and beg for more.

:( another subi soul gone. im really glad your okay, that crash looks insane, i didn't even think a Subaru could ever look like that. that rear bumper is tough but in those photos it looks like it was made out of paper. and yes its totaled, i got hit a month ago in my 89 Wagon and it did not look anything like this, yet they still totaled it. Edited by Subasaurus

Bet it quit because the fuel pump got destroyed. Throw a fuel pump at it and it'd run again. Not that there'd be much of a point to that though. Wonder how well/not well it would go down the road. Looks like the rear end is skewed pretty good and pass wheel is pushed forward a good bit.

Thanks for the replies, I am under no dilusions of gradure, it's totaled.

The puddle is actaully some ATF I had in the rear cargo compartment.  I have a couple items I need to get out of there but will need to break out the torch/sawsall to get to them.

The seat has a permanet gangsta lean now, tried to tilt it forward yesterday, all the prawls are shaved off or something internal is broken so that is where it will stay.

The trashed brat is really a shame, looks like a really nice specimine.

Attached picture is how I will remember it.

post-271-0-18856300-1447641715_thumb.jpg

... Subi was still running ...

:o

... someone called it the adventuremobile and it truly was, it will be missed, but I am alive because it was there for me ....

Sorry for your loss of the Adventuremobile; however I'm glad to know that you Survived with minor injuries, and you'll be alright soon.

My subie was rear ended in december 2003, but never as hard as yours; and also I had whiplash on my neck, maybe mine was harder because my Subie hit the vehicle on the front, and I still feel the consequences...

Maybe you can save some parts of your Subie, if you can buy it back from the insurance.

I wish that you can solve the insurance paperwork easily in no time.

I send you my Best Wishes, hoping that you'll find another Adventuremobile soon.

Kind Regards.

Herb green funny I didn't think anyone would comment on the color and yes it is my favorite too.  In case you were wondering the car was in a front end collision before I owned it and best I can tell they did a blend from the front to the rear, thus the hood and front fenders are missmatched.