Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Biggest Battery in 2002 H6 Outback?

Does anyone know what is the biggest battery I can cram into my outback? Standard replacement seems to be the 35. It looks like a group size 34 will fit, but is anyone running something bigger?

Obviously I could break out the tape measure and run around the store checking every battery, but if someone knows off-hand, it'll save me the trouble.

Thanks!

As a side note, I keep hearing good things about Walmart's Everstart Maxx as far as bang-for-your-buck goes. Anyone know how that would compare to the Duracell Platinum AGM batteries at Sam's club?

For anyone curious, you CAN cram a size 34 battery in there, but you have to mount it a tiny bit crooked to keep it from rubbing on the timing chain cover. If you have a 4 cylinder, it'll fit no problem.

A 34R (with reversed + and - posts) would be better because the standard 34 requires that you disconnect a little clip that holds the positive lead in place. The 34R would eliminate this need. I'll post a picture later to clear things up a bit.

Long story short, with Walmart's Everstart Maxx I got more RC and 800CCA vs 640CCA for $3 less by getting the 34 instead of the 35. No brainer!

The real dream would be to get a 34R/78 with the reversed posts and secondary side posts for accessories, too. 

Just my experience and opinion..........I have Walmart Everstart Maxx 35N in both my 98 and 99 Outbacks. After doing some reading, the "N" battery is sold in the north, their "S" battery is sold in the south. I don't know what the difference is, but I can attest that the Maxx 35N battery has been great. One is 4 years old, the other 5 years old, with no issues, and bought them at a good price. I highly recommend the Everstart Maxx.

Like any battery, just be sure to top off the battery water level with distilled water to make it last for a long time.