Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, time to retire my '97 leggy, body is rusted along with door sill looking at a '99 175000 miles, mine had 250000, questions body on '99 is perfect no rust i dunno if HG has been changed, is that a concern on the '99's? i have factory on my '97 will that work in the '99? hate to let her go, but its time, thanks for your input :( i might pull & save the motor from mine, HG done 2 yrs ago

a 1999 legacy will have an ej222, and the electronics are different than the 1997 ej22e.. A 1999 outback has the old style electronics and will swap with an ej22e

A 99 Legacy will have the ej25, not the ej22. The electronics is the same. Pretty much plug and play, with a change needed on exhaust header, as they are not the same. But no big deal.

Yes head gasket problem is a potential problem on a 99 model 2.5 motor. All Legacy motors 2.5 from 1996 thru 1999 are the same design, so head gasket problem is there for all Legacy cars during those years.

sorry to bring this up again, the 99 is not an option now looking at another '97 however it does not have the cold weather pkg. (heated mirrors etc.) nor factory alarm it does have remote locking question is, do you think the wiring would be there for alarm & heated mirrors so it would be a matter of swapping the alarm unit and mirrors & switches? thnx again guys also the car i would be pulling it out of is a limited other car is not

Edited by djmark7