Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspect my major oil leak is from the valve covers. If not, then somewhere else near the fire wall. How do you remove the valve covers?? Is a cork gasket used, or Permetex or similar?? Not necessary to stop every leak on my old car, a few oil drops on the driveway is acceptable.

If uses gaskets, where is the best place to buy?? gasket kits available on e-bay or auto parts stores??

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

They are rubber gaskets, installed dry.

Make sure you use a 6 point socket or wrench.

Some of the bolts are a bugger to get out.  Every once in awhile I have to drop the exhaust and jack the engine to get the back bolts if they were rounded off or very tight.

Amazon, Felpro kits are pretty good and priced right.

If the plugs have not been done in awhile, it's a good time to put in a new set of NKG copper core plugs and wires if you need them.  Subaru or NGK on the wires as well.

• Like 1

They are rubber gaskets, installed dry.

Make sure you use a 6 point socket or wrench.

Some of the bolts are a bugger to get out.  Every once in awhile I have to drop the exhaust and jack the engine to get the back bolts if they were rounded off or very tight.

Amazon, Felpro kits are pretty good and priced right.

If the plugs have not been done in awhile, it's a good time to put in a new set of NKG copper core plugs and wires if you need them.  Subaru or NGK on the wires as well.

Imdew............Thanks for the advise. Having a mechanic friend install the Felpro kit tomorrow. I got a better price from Advance Auto Parts on line with a 30% off coupon, when purchasing the Felpro kit. Sparkplugs I replaced last Fall. Good advise though. Just doesn't look like much space to do the work. Hope my friend doesn't cuss the Subaru design too much doing this job.