Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej22 swap, How did you lengthen your drive shaft?

I have not done this. Did you try a drive shaft repair shop?

2 ways I can think of. Find a shaft longer from another vehicle that fits snugly inside or outside of the original. A good fit should keep it aligned and straight. Weld. Get balanced at a drive shaft shop.

Cut the short one. Get a piece of another, again. Just bigger or smaller than the original and use it to make the extension. Weld. Get balanced as above.

IIRC, an EA82 shaft will fit, just have to make a mount for the carrier bearing.

And, about 8 years ago, I had an EA81 wagon one-piece shaft lengthened for use in an EA82. 6" sounds right. Local driveshaft shop did it, but there was no warranty (they had to machine the flanges down a bit from metric to a standard tube size), Still no problems when the car was wrecked this last summer.

Great ideas gents thanks! Sorry to hear about the wreck numbchux! I was just in an accident last week in my 86 alfa romeo spider.. write off. Not at fault. Sucks!! :/

Don't worry about it. It changed hands twice since I sold it, and the kid who did own/crash it was drunk driving at the time, so I don't feel bad for him. And the car was pretty well completely rotted out, so I don't really feel bad for it either. Wish I'd gotten some parts off it, but oh well.

Edited by Numbchux