Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving along, then just shut down.

84 gl wagon 4WD, 4 speed, hitachi carb. I was driving home from work tonight all was running great and has been for awhile, then suddenly engine just shut off. No warning, just off. It was dark out so I noticed immediately the clock was off. All other dash lights worked as usual but I noticed the clock because it always had worked. I thought since the engine and clock died at the same time this may be a tell tale answer, I just don't know what it is. I replaced the disty about 7,000 miles ago along with new coil, plugs, wires, cap/ rotor, alt. and fuel filters.

When the car died it shook for a split second before it just seemed unplugged. I didn't have a chance to check anything yet, the car is on the side of a dark country road and it's snowing pretty good. I got a ride luckily, be heading back to it tomorrow to see if I have spark and that sort of thing. I just was wondering if the simotnious clock/engine death may trigger any suggestions. Thanks.

Generally a sudden shutdown is electrical. Check fusible links, and fuses first. After that, start checking for spark. A fuel issue would have sputtered to a stop. Its possible a connector in the ignition system came loose. Maybe even as simple as the coil wire to the distributor.

+1

Yep, it was just a ignition coil fuse. I was tired, it was dark and snowing. I expected the scary expensive stuff. So relieved I was wrong. I paniced. Thank you for the kind advice and direction. I learned a long time ago to keep it simple and work your way in. I guess sometimes I need a reminder. Thanks again.

• Like 1