Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking at a subaru outback

I am Looking at a subaru outback, manual transmission ( https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5347060844.html ) I know in general what to look for and what to ask, but What specifically is requied to be done for a 2006 subaru outback at 160,000 miles? what do I need to specifically look for it, ask the owner about. I have some experience but it is all on a 1987 subaru gl. and when do you need to look at replacing the timing belt on it? I know it almost never needed, but I am wondering. Also is that a good price for that mileage? Thanks for your time.

viceman.

timing belt should have been done at 100-110k. And will be due again at about 180k.

Listen for growling trans, feel for torque bind, clutch slippage etc.

If well maintained, 160k is still a baby. Lots and lots of mileage left. Thats a good price for a good looking car. if it checks out and doesn't need much, I would not hesitate. in fact, I'd jump all over it before someone else grabs it.

Mostly a test drive will tell you what you need to know. Smooth acceleration, shift well, smooth idle, seems well maintained etc.

• Like 1

Listen for growling trans, feel for torque bind, clutch slippage etc.

Do some figure 8s both ways  this will pick up torque bind as previously mentioned (in manual - centre diff.    auto - transfer clutch) and while doing this listen for clicks clunks coming from worn CV joints

If it hasn't been replaced already possibly / probably looking at clutch replacement @  160K

Edited by subnz

Also forgot to mention before drive up to 50-60mph then brake firmly to test brakes.

If the pedal pulses it means the front rotors (discs) are warped / worn pads  are worn etc

and also listen for any harsh sounds means  worn out brakes / pads etc. (metal on metal- no brake pads left)  make  sure do this on a quiet road with no-one close

behind you.( guess thats obvious)

Don't brake too hard ie to the point of lockup otherwise ABS will be activated which pulses the brakes also to avoid wheel lockup

Edited by subnz