Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Using a lift kit to make a frame/general chassis stiffening

Anyone ever done this? I was thinking welding all of the lift blocks on both sides together using either some quarter wall 1x2 or Dom for connecting front to rear, and then a couple crossmembers (maybe some hdpe skids). Do you think this would strengthen it enough to make up for my lack of rockers/mildly messed up floor?

It's definitely been done. You can do a little and end up with a lift that is really sturdy and stiff, or you can do a lot and basically end up with a custom tube frame for the car.

Whether or not it will strengthen it "enough" to make up for your car's weaknesses depends upon 3 things: just how big the problems are on your car, how extensive the frame build  is, and what you consider to be "enough."

• Like 1

It's definitely been done. You can do a little and end up with a lift that is really sturdy and stiff, or you can do a lot and basically end up with a custom tube frame for the car.

Whether or not it will strengthen it "enough" to make up for your car's weaknesses depends upon 3 things: just how big the problems are on your car, how extensive the frame build is, and what you consider to be "enough."

Rockers are gone, and a small hole in the driver's side floor, but the frame rails themselves are very sturdy. I just want enough so I can feel like I'm getting the structural strength back that it lost with the rockers leaving.

It would certainly help, whether it's as strong or not is completely debatable, but in my experience when these cars rust out, those suspension pickups fail first...so you're beefing those up considerably...

I think it would be fairly crucial to extend not just from the strut/radius rod mounts, but up to the engine crossmember blocks, too.

• Like 2

I am currently doing this exact thing. I have a ton of 2x4 frame rail I am stuffing into the frame of my RX Due to all of the rust I am dealing with.

I used small stuff on the rear of the frame.

IMAG0202.jpg

My car is not even worth fixing but I am going for it. 

IMAG0203.jpg

CUT EVERYTHING

Then Mock up

IMAG0208.jpg

Welds are obviously not great I taught a bunch of my friends how to weld haha

IMAG0206.jpg

But who cares

Weld it with terrible settings and adjust accordingly =)

IMAG0207.jpg

The path for my RX is make it stiff and ready to take abuse.

IMAG0212.jpg

See what I mean

IMAG0187.jpg 

Here is my frame rail I am using I made a crazy bumper for fun

IMAG0188.jpg

I Love steel and for the side skirts I am cutting them out and putting frame rail in there too

WARNING GRAPHIC

IMAG0637.jpg

I am replacing the entire bottom of the car with new steel slowly I bet ill add just under 100 pounds when I am done because of how much I cut out

IMAG0636_1.jpg

If you want more pics Let me know =)

Yes also I have to add it's a lot of work building frames into these cars. Lots of cutting involved. This is around the rear subframe mount. I also added frame rail into the side skirt.

It's really not, to do it the way the OP is talking about. Doing a "body" lift, and just connecting the lift blocks. It's almost perfectly a straight shot.

And it certainly will do more than nothing. Probably won't bring it back to original strength, but will help a lot.

Hot Rodders make frames all the time from rectangular tubing, use something like 2x3 make every joint correct and welded and braced properly , use the lift kit points as brackets not really part of the frame and you will have a substantial frame, if I was doing it I would take a spare straight car flip it over and build he frame then install it on the rusted car

Yes, connecting the lift blocks front to rear will stiffen it up. Just welding the lift kit in as he asked will do nadda.

I was thinking welding all of the lift blocks on both sides together using either some quarter wall 1x2 or Dom for connecting front to rear, and then a couple crossmembers (maybe some hdpe skids).

• Like 1