Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ordering Subaru Parts online to save $$$

I recently ordered a MAF sensor on ebay for $45 delivered.  A local mechanic wanted $400 to install a new unit, basically a 15 minute r & r job.  Virtually every new part on ebay or Amazon are available for a fraction of the dealer cost.  Are there any warnings on these online parts orders? Personally with a high mileage, 300K Subaru, I would scavenge the parts off of junkers, but actually the new parts are cheaper than local junk yards. Thanks.

It varies, the cheap knock sensors all seem to be well-regarded. some inexpensive timing belt system kits seem to have no-name belts that won't last over 60K.

I'd say proceed cautiously, try to use dealers that specialize in car parts and have both 3-4 digit or more number of sales and a rating over 95% or so. Always double check returns policies and if the part is stocked in the western hemisphere - or takes 3 weeks from overseas.

be aware, there are on-line dealers that discount OEM parts too - subarugenuineparts.com , fredbeansparts.com , etc. And I have successfully had a local dealer match and 'almost' match prices from on-line dealers when challenged.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Also don't even go by the fact that they give you a factory part number on Fleabay.  I have a friend that purchased a part for a diesel truck and it was a piece of Chinese junk with the factory part number on the package but a different part number stamped on the part. 

There are on line dealers that sell factory parts for a few percent over cost, you just need to dig around to find them, and they are well worth the extra cost.

I have done well ordering parts on line from Advance Auto Parts. Sometimes the part I want to order is in stock at a nearby store. Advance always has discount coupons for on line orders. My last $50 order for a Subie valve cover gasket kit, antifreeze, and oil filters was discounted 30% on all items. I picked up the part at their store. Price was then substantially lower then any other vendor on line. If I needed to return, that was easily done for a complete refund. Not always can you find Subie parts in stock, but often enough. Even if shipped from a warehouse, the part can be returned to any of Advance stores easily. That works out so much better, then returning something to an on line car parts vendor hundreds of miles away, then hoping and waiting that a correct credit amount will be added back onto your charge card.

• Like 1

on-line discount dealers, eBay, Rockauto and even Amazon have served me well overall. Just understand that varying from OEM can 'occasionally' be a problem.

no harm in asking for specific opinions here - it has helped me make some tough decisions. Some of the gurus here have used more parts in a week than I will in a lifetime.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Certain parts have reputation to go Subaru only - as mentioned  CVs, Plug wires, head gaskets etc. will fail readily unless they are fuji (Or NGK in the case of plug wires)

But RockAuto and others are fantastic when you are okay with a slightly lower quality but much lower price. Closeout sales on things like brake pads etc. have made for some very cheap maintenance and repairs.

• Like 1

I have bought from subaru-parts-dealer.com

With good results. Very helpful finding obscure parts also.

I won't buy Chinese knockoff stuff if I know it ahead of time. Have to be very careful on ebay and Amazon to be sure they are really selling what they say they are selling.

I bought a MAF sensor from eBay for about $40 recently.  A reman Nissan MAF sensor cost $460 from NAPA and the dealer claimed he could not get one, even though the same sensor is used on new Nissans today.

I noticed about half of the comments for the part on eBay and the same part on Amazon stated that they did not work.  But in each of those cases, they stuck it in and started the vehicle and it didn't run right, so it can learn the new MAF sensor.  Do this by disconnecting the battery while you are changing the sensor and by the time you are done, the PCM should have forgotten the learned parameters.  It will take up to ten minutes before the engine really starts to sort itself out for the new sensor.

I used partsgeek.com for a few pieces necessary for my 93.  I would not recommend them to anyone.  I ordered 2 seals with the same part number and I received 2 different seals.  both were packaged as the correct item and part #. 

returning to an online store is such a hassle that it is almost not worth the headache. 

So, I still have a seal if anyone needs one.   lol  no idea what it is truly intended for though.

In the future I will only be ordering local if it is available.  I'd rather pay a couple extra bucks and save the headache and irritation.