Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Axles--any tougher with 99 Outback?

I did one of these on a Subaru I had that was a late 80s model.  My driver's side CV joint is getting bad; for an advanced beginner mechanic, parts changer how tough is this?  A couple years ago I had my front wheel bearings done, so hopefully nothing is frozen in there.  

Wrong, it's not a circlip on the trans side. If it's an automatic the stub into the trans is a circlip, but you need that stub for the new axle, so you have to punch the roll pin either way. You need a 3/16" punch.

The axle nut is indeed 32mm. You're in newengland so things are crusty, you're not gonna get the balljoint apart without ruining it, unless it's been replaced recently. I usually mark the alignment of the camber bolt and pull the two bolts holding the strut to the knuckle. This gives ample room to remove the inner spline, then slide the axle out of the hub. 

Tips: make sure to break the axle nut free with the tire on the ground, pop the center cap to do it. Make sure the axle is free in the hub splines before removing the strut bolts, it's a real pain to get the axle loose if it's frozen up when the knuckle is flopping around.

Over the summer I had to do one in my Forester in an auto parts store parking lot on a road trip (was shaking the car so bad I thought it was gonna self-destruct...) took about 25 minutes, not a hard job.

99 should have a stub on the trans with a roll pin holding the axle on. Knock the roll pin put with a punch and the axle slides off.

The hard part is the wheel end. Axle nuts get rusty/seize, ball joints are difficult to get loose.

I usually just undo the lower strut bolts. Loose the lower and remove the upper. Clean and Mark the alignment of the strut base with the knuckle first so you can line them back up the same when done.

Once the knuckle is pulled out the axle easily pops off of the inner stub then you slide it back out of the wheel hub.

I've done them in less than 20 minutes on my own cars, but that's because everything has been apart before and is well coated with antiseize and grease to prevent rust.

I just wanted to point out that in some cases, the splines of the axle on the wheel end get so tightly fused with the hub, you can't separate the axle from the hub no matter what you do with any tool. I've heard people breaking the hub into 2 pieces while using a hydraulic press to separate the axle from the hub. That happened to me on the right front (I didn't break anything, just couldn't separate with a gear puller from Advance Auto after soaking with PB Blaster for a few days). I just replaced the boots and grease. On the left side, the axle and hub came apart with a slight pull. And I don't get lot of snow where I live.

it's easy if it's not rusted.  with the wheel off it requires removing one nut, one bolt, loosening a bolt, and knocking out a pin, that's it.

remove wheel

remove top strut mount bolt (or lower).  loosen the other.

knock out pin

pull axle off trans first - push it up and back - then slide it out of the hub as you pull the knuckle outward.

To retain alignment I mark the top strut mount bolt head - reinstall that in the same location.  Same idea as marking the knuckle.

Problems - this is the worst that happens - like once every 20 or 50 times. Not common - but they're really annoying if they do.  You're unlikely to see one this bad, but just know that it does happen.

Axle seized in the hub.  If they're really bad - pullers will shatter the rotors - pullers themselves will break as well. 

Dont even think about touching the ball joint in rust prone areas.  they can be rust welded into the knuckle and the only way to free them it to do whatever you want until the ball joint stud breaks out of the socket.  then you have to start drilling the remaining ball left in the knuckle into pieces and chisel it out a piece at a time.  again - only 1 in 50 or something are that bad, but there's no tool known to man that will remove those.  something breaks first - like the tool or the ball joint.

Also, never try to pull the joint from the hub when you replace these, pull the joint from the control arm. Much easier and I've never had this fail me, I live in a rust prone area, unless its really bad I've never had an issue doing it like this.

This way you don't need to worry about messing up your alignment.

Edited by mikaleda

Thanks for the advice; I picked up the part following advice earlier on online purchases of Advance parts for $50 with discount.  Also have some loaner tools but am low on tools otherwise.  I will have to figure out how to jack it up unless I can get my floorjack out of storage.

With a good 1/2" gun and a lift I can do one in about 15 minuets if everything isn't seized. I've yet to see a ball joint seized so bad that a BFH and a good 3 foot pry bar couldt bust loose.

I have seen far too many that take serious abuse to get out. I used to work in a shop in Maine, so I saw lots of miserable rusted stuff. 

Either way, balljoints usually don't survive the abuse of being removed with a BFH. I've done that before only to have the balljoint fail a week later, they're not designed to take impact like that.

I don't hit the ball joint, I use a pry bar to put pressure on the joint and smack the control arm with a hammer. Never had a failure cause by this and I have seen some really rusty front ends.

Works good for tie rod ends too. And I used to work in a service center 37 miles down a highway that was constantly sprayed with mag cloride, so I've seen a lot of rusty subarus.

Edited by mikaleda

I started into the job but can't get the axle nut off, I don't have a breaker bar just a large wrench handle and the 32mm socket which I borrowed from Advance.  Also there are warnings on the new axle directions, it looks like there are plenty of ways to go wrong on this.

I got into this with a friend with more tools than myself; the lower bolt would not turn though we tried WD40, etc..  So he started loosening the strut bolts and saw the Abs that would also apparently have to be removed.  I know when a mechanic did the other knuckle, ball joint etc. it was a bear, and actually the driver's side ball joint is bad too which can be a challenge getting it out of the knuckle if frozen so I may need to go the mechanic route.