Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie Rod Boot replacement

With a ripped tie rod boot, I am looking to replace it myself. My 'Servicing the Suabaru" mechanic's manual is detailed, yet expects to be used by a mechanic, and thus knowledgeable about many things (which I am not)

For example....

Must I disengage the steering gearbox in order to remove the boot?

taking boot of 1994 Leone (I think they call them Loyales in the USA) and putting on a 1990 Leone (mine is a stationwagon 4x4..and we called them Sportswagons, L-series here)

And what are the real dangers that one must be aware of when doing this repair.

At present my tie rod at the wheel is disengaged....It would be nice if I could just undo the boot, and slip a new one one...but that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

thanks

RAE

What exactly do you mean by "disengage the steering gearbox" and that you've "my tie rod at the wheel is disengaged"????

You have to undo the jamb nut on the threaded portion of the tie rod then unscrew the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod. Count the exact number of turns it came off so you can put it back on exactly the same. Otherwise you'll have a bad alignment.

I would not suggest trying to remove and use an old boot, the replacement is likely old and dry rotted as well, it will probably tear when trying to remove it.

Yes I thought using an old boot might be what many would deem unwise.

I was thinking that to get that old boot off might be difficult and was wondering how to do it, without actually taking the entire steering mechanism off. There appears to be a clip of some sort near the tranny end....which is of some odd design...maybe a special pair of pliers.

My parts car is quite useful, the previous owner having replaced a lot of parts, during her ownership. I think the constant repairs and rust, were what caused her to get rid of it....my  advantage).The old boot looks to be in pretty good condition, may even have been replaced itself...I am not sure. Certainly its tie rod ball joints (outer) are recent.

Your thoughts are very welcomed. Thanks Rally Suby!

which boot is ripped?  the outer tie rod boot or the inner tie rod boot?

Subaru tie rods are so robust and fail so rarely I wouldn't hesitate to swap a tie rod boot on one with no play.  It'll probably last the life of the vehicle.

Outer tie rod: 

Remove pin from the nut that's right on top of the boot.

Remove the 19mm (or 17mm) castle nut

Pull the tie rod out of the knuckle and replace the boot.

They're are some kind of clips at the base of the tie rod boot - either carefully remove and try to reuse to just use something else to tigthen it up.  Some other cinching/wire type mechanism.

But yeah - might be simpler to just swap tie rods instead of the boot though.

tie rod at wheel end off already ...no problem. inner boot is the one I am wondering how to get the entire rod off (with boot) without taking apart the steering assembly.

thanks for your thoughts.

RAE

Unscrew the outer tie rod end to replace ihe inner bellows.There is no other way.

Don`t mess around w/the inner tie rod.You would need to remove the boot first anyway.

B9sc1h.jpgElemDH.jpgLc9bBw.jpg

thanks to JesZek here are some pictures of my wheel bearing after axle is out. Seems they have had black as night molybedeum sulphide grease...and I thought to push some in with my finger tips....thoughts?

and after that are some pictures of the O-ring where the inner tie rod boot clamps on. It would seem that both the parts car and my driving car have problems...because , although they have different endings....the point where the O-ring is located on parts car can be pushed up revealing the tie rod end.

Not good...

So new boot seems the go......but costly no doubt if they can be found......and I have to order them no doubt and need the car on the road again NOW....so maybe easy to change when axle back in??????   
First pic is of the used parts car boot arrangement and how it is fastened with an O-ring behind it.  2nd pic (small one) is with boot pushed in...as it is obviously broken behind the O-ring. The 3rd pic (big one again) is of O-ring on good car...but there is no clip fastener like on the parts car....(the boot is broken badly behind a cenitmeter or so.) tghe 4th picture is the worn boot pushed back on the parts car...obvsiouly not sealed but the good car is completely torn (I touched it) and liable to get dirt in it. I thought to wrap it in plastic for now (with some grease) and fasten with some pull-ties and then see about getting some new one. So the question is still....can I just unscrew the outer tie-rod end....and pull the boot off...and replace it the same way or 

must it be fastened to the steering box in some way????thanks

RAEuoqgPk.jpg2rePdy.jpg4UtH4I.jpgIhGtnW.jpg

Yes...sorry Dave.  Was working on the axle and viewing the bearings, when it became apparent that the Tie-rod Rack Bellow / boots were in need of replacement.

Have enquired about new bellows / boots (but it seems an entire kit may be needed...so for now...I have wrapped the old boot in plastic)

However, the axle bearings are in question....fill them with new grease, pushing it in with my finger tips?....or //?????

thanks for your interest

was going to swap housing assemblies but ball joint stud got buggered....so am truly thinking about putting new grease in the existing bearings...best way???....buying new bearings requires getting on the road again...or getting friend to drive 40 km to get some new ones after i wait days to get order thru...

attached is the bearing...previous picture.....note silver face is now discolored.ElemDH.jpg

I have worked a little new grease into the bearings without removing them. GL 2 grease. I happen to use Amsoil, don't know for sure what other types are compatible. If they are not making noise, it wouldn't hurt much to add a little, see what happens, and gather parts to redo them later. It will take time for them to fail. Normally, the bearings are removed from the knuckle, cleaned, re greased, and re installed. With new seals. I have been running EA82 wagons since 1988. Have not had one wheel bearing fail. I have cleaned and repacked the bearings sometimes when replacing an axle, but not always.

sounds reasonable ...except getting new seals separately...that I would have to investigate.

As for the boot...the  spare one is broken just past the O-ring a couple mm.   and so that won't do. But you have given me an idea I had not entertained...look at the other side of the parts car and look at the boot there.

Question....the boot is taken off by unscrewing the outer tie -rod first .....undoing the ""clip"" holding the bellows (beside the O-ring) I am not sure this is reuseable.....

then snipping off or finding a way to get rid of ""tie down"" at steering assembly end....

sliding boot off rack...

YES????

Then finding a NEW O-ring....???? and mayby a simple ""plastic tie"" to replace the clip.????

thanks Dave...and thanks for the pic...you definitely know what i am talking about...and i have found a universal boot at a parts shop...however, I will have to check it  out first for length.

Meanwhile...I have taken your historical efforts and , rather than injure my wheel bearings trying to take them out...and buying new seals. ....I have injected some new grease into the existing wheel bearings.qvulRA.jpgqi8yqj.jpgAfter picture.B9sc1h.jpgBEFORE picture.

grease -they make needle fittigns so you can slide the needle into tight places and regrease - i've used it for bearings tons of times, though not wheel bearings.

the spring/clamp at both ends of the rack boot are reusable on Subarus.

unless it's been replaced SUbaru uses a spring clamp - it's like a metal rubber band - on  the inner side of the boot to hold it to the steering rack. 

just remove it and re-use it.

I don't even remove the outer tie rod completely to replace the boots:

1.  loosen the lock nut and just turn the tie rod so the inner and outer unthread from each other

2.  remove lock nut (so the boot can slide off and new one slide on)

3.  remove clamps/old boot and install new boot

done. 

4.  remove outer clip

5.  install new boot

i've never seen or heard of an "oring" related tot he steering rack boot - please show a picture of where you're getting that information, it doesn't sound right.