Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Trans and 2.2l engine oil Prob

Hi I have a couple of questions regarding my 1996 Legacy with the 2.2 Liter Engine. The first one is im wondering what might be causing my 5 Speed Manual to have issues finding mainly reverse and 3rd gear there always seem to be a tricky to find when shift or trying to get out of parking spot. Also along with that problem the reverse lights stop working. A slightly different problem is that the car when at any speed over 10mph with the clutch in doesnt like going into first gear it tends to grind or just simply not go in. (Only usually do that when stoping at a red light.) Then with the 2.2 Liter I was wondering what seems to be a sensor on the top of the engine nearer to the radiator is because it seems to be my main source of leaking oil. 

Thanks

Minimac1010

Sounds like your shifter bushings are worn out. Sounds like you are experiencing a lot of "slop" with a loose shift lever when changing gears. Check the archives on this subject on this website. Lots written on the subject, and how to replace the bushings. I have never done that job, but seem to remember reading that it is not a difficult job. Just need to get the car up on a lift to gain access to the shifter. A repair garage should not charge much for this work. Don't think it is labor intensive.

The lever "slop" could also be the source of your back up lights not working. I wouldn't be surprised that the shift lever is not depressing the back up light switch. If so, then the switch is not activated to turn on the back up lights.

+1 on the above.

The oil is probably leaking out of the oil pressure sender / sensor = common. Get a new one cheap @ the local auto parts  and replace it. IIRC, you 'll need to remove the Alternator. Also, there are two parts to the oil sensor: 1 is the actual sensor; 1 is the housing/fitting/whatever that screws into the top of the block. Put a wrench on the bigger housing and just unscrew the sensor separately.

Td

Edited by wtdash

You can't force the trans into first gear while rolling. It damages the synchronizer on 1st gear. Use 2nd while rolling, or you must come to a complete stop before going into first.

I wouldn't be surprised that the shift lever is not depressing the back up light switch. If so, then the switch is not activated to turn on the back up lights.

Reverse switch is activated by the shift selector shaft inside the trans, not by the external shifter linkage.

No reverse lights: make sure the bulbs work first. Make sure the fuse is good and make sure voltage is getting to the bulbs.

Wagons have problems with the wiring going into the hatch where it bends at the top. Wires break in the flexible dust tube there and cause lights not to work.

• Like 1