Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Outback Starter not Disengaging

Off and on for a little over a year the starter has been making a screeching noise on cold starts, (so my wife says, I've never heard it until just recently).

Being a mechanic on boats and lawn and garden equipment for 40 years I could tell instantly that the bendix was not releasing from the flywheel. 

Either a faulty ignition switch or a sticky bendix will do this.

My question is; Does Subaru have any issues with starters or ignition switches in 2005 on Outback wagons?

my 06 WRX has been doing this for several years - guaranteed to drag under 40* or so, usually won't if temps are over 50-55*F.

Subaru went to a mitsubishi planetary starter in 05-06 i think and i have read several similar complaints. Might be a lube problem. I keep thinking I'll pull mine and try to lube the pinion spindle/axle w'ever but - just lazy i guess.

• Like 1

not sure, plus, i suppose it's possible for a Denso starter to hang - maybe if the solenoid contacts 'fuse' to the plunger? Not psitive which starter you have - my 06 WRX is m'ishi.

anyway - you can find info, threads, complaints about the issue if you do more general searches - and i think I've seen a youtube video of someone tearing-apart a starter and lubing it.

Hook a test light to the start wire on the starter solenoid and make sure it's not staying energized after you release the key. It's probably not, but its a quick easy check to make sure before you replace the starter.

The solenoid on that starter is not serviceable, but you could remove the starter and clean any dust/dirt from the area of the pinion and apply a thin lubricant oil.

• Like 1