Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4EAT seal that keeps ATF from getting into the front diff?

I've seen a lot of mention of a seal that prevents ATF from getting into the differential and killing it, but no mention of where this seal lives, and what it's called. I'm swapping in a new (to me) tranny, and would like to get that taken care of while I've got it out so I don't have to worry about it.

Any ideas where it is, how to get to it, what the part number might be, etc.?

Yep.

Pretty sure the tailhousing has to be removed as well to remove the lock but on the end of the pinion shaft.

Not very common for those seals to leak though. More common leak would be the o-rings on the tube that runs through the diff case that the converter pump drive runs through. The tube is shown in the first photo.

Yes, in order to remove the pinion shaft from the transmission, the tailshaft housing has to be removed. Pan removal isn't required for this job but if it's seeping or leaking, now is a good time to reseal it. I also will replace the rubber o-ring on the wiring harness with the pan reseal.

But I agree, probably the transfer tube is leaking.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys, been doing a couple 4eat teardown repairs/rebuilds. This seal that does this is a small one like a large macaroni size. Ill add a photo and video to an email if you desire but its one of those post holes in the picture above part the one part at the very top