Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake light on and will not go out

My moms 07 forester....95k

Seems that the frigid cold brings out all kinds of problems!

All of a sudden she gets in car and brake lite is on

She does not use the E brake so it should not be a switch that did not release

Brake fluid is above the low mark....topped it off anyway---saw nothing leaking under /around any wheel (inside or out)

Lifted and released Ebrake numerous times...no change

Any ideas?

thanks

Not sure on newer Subarus, but on an Audi I owned, it had a wear sensor attached to the brake pad. When brake pad wore down, a metal clip with an electrical connector would rub against the rotor. When this electrical connection happened, a brake warning light would appear on the dash.

Another thought is that the ebrake handle needs a cable adjustment. With handle down, a loose cable isn't turning off the electrical connection, so light stays on.

Not sure on newer Subarus, but on an Audi I owned, it had a wear sensor attached to the brake pad. When brake pad wore down, a metal clip with an electrical connector would rub against the rotor. When this electrical connection happened, a brake warning light would appear on the dash.

Most newer cars have a brake fluid sensor, as the pad wears the piston extends and the fluid level in the master cylinder goes down and a warning light comes on. Edited by mikaleda