Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 OBW, best place to "break down"

not seeking advise.......just a quick story. Went to Advance Auto Parts to buy parts for my RV. Upon leaving the store, my 99 OBW would not start. Just "click click click" upon turning the ignition key. Before this, car had not presented any starting problems. I went back in the store, and got the counter guy to bring out his Jumper Box to see if that would start the car. In hooking up the cables, he noticed my negative battery cable was loose at the battery post. He tried tightening up the cable, but that didn't help. It just sort of bent the terminal, and would not tighten up  The OEM terminal just isn't made very well. So, I bought a new cable terminal, and now all is well.

Just a "new first" for me, to break down in the parking lot right in front of an auto parts store front door. Best place ever to have a problem.

• Like 1

I like to use the marine terminals when I replace them. The originals are good for a while, but steel corodes and then they don't have any room to tighten

Yea, that is what happened to my steel terminal. Seemed like the battery post was too small in diameter. Tighten the clamp as much as I could some time ago, but ran out of room to tighten any further. Clamp had not been real tight for some time.

Yea, that is what happened to my steel terminal. Seemed like the battery post was too small in diameter. Tighten the clamp as much as I could some time ago, but ran out of room to tighten any further. Clamp had not been real tight for some time.

Common issue with oem cables and third party batteries.

I have used a length of solid copper wire, breaking it off after tightening and the prong from an appliance plug to fill in the gap.

O.

You can take those crappy stock terminals off, hit them sideways with a hammer, or a rock or whatever. Now that it's a little bit squished in use the same medieval instrument to beat the terminal back on the battery post. Works a charm every time. Of course replacing the terminal is a better option, but sometimes it's 2am at a gas station and your car won't start...

• Like 1

Just beware of your next place that you are going to break down. 

I lost a fan belt years ago and coasted into my favorite automotive parts store, bought a new belt and borrowed tools from them to replace it.  The next time I broke down I was 90 miles from the nearest parts store out in the boonies with a bad fuel pump. 

I've only ever had to get a car towed once (not counting when someone cut me off and totaled my forester). It was my 96 legacy, the water pump seized and shredded the belt. Everyone gets all excited about non-interference engines, and it was nice not having to do a valve job afterwards. But it sure did interfere with my day (and wallet) having my car towed like 120 miles....

I've only ever had to get a car towed once (not counting when someone cut me off and totaled my forester). It was my 96 legacy, the water pump seized and shredded the belt. Everyone gets all excited about non-interference engines, and it was nice not having to do a valve job afterwards. But it sure did interfere with my day (and wallet) having my car towed like 120 miles....

Exactly why I have AAA