Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just broke door handle on my 2005 Legacy Wagon. Need info.

Hi ALL!

I just broke the door handle on my 2005 Legacy wagon, on the drivers side !

I just lifted it up and heard a snap ! I found a video on youtube on how to replace a handle on a '04 Outback, I suspect they are similar ! ?

I'm going to see if I can find handle WITH on Ebay.

It was 20 degrees here in Western Mass, I suspect that it just was too cold and broke from fatigue.

Just what usually breaks inside ?

Will replacing the handle actually work ?

The handle outside is still loaded and I can still open it from inside. if that helps.

THANKS, SubeeTed

subeeted,

Either the handle itself snapped, or the cable snapped or came undone from one end or the other. You won't know until you get the inner door panel off, and remove the plastic weather shield. So don't buy any parts until you see what let go, or just simply came undone and can be reatached. You are correct that the two cars are pretty much the same.

Leave the window up to give you enough room to get at everything. A Google search for "2005 subaru outback door handle pics" will give you an idea of what you're up against. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Either the handle itself snapped, or the cable snapped or came undone from one end or the other...............if you open the passenger door, then reach across the front seat to see if you can open the driver's door from the inside door release. If you can do this, then you know the cable connection is prolly not the problem. Let's hope you can do this, as it is a lot easier to remove the interior door panel with the door open.

Good advise above from gphrps. He knows what he is talking about.

The external door handles are notorious for gumming up and breaking when cold.

The part that breaks usually is the plastic piece that holds the rod that acuates the latch.

I just replace one on a 05 ll. Bean outback, part was about $40 for an aftermarket handle

The outer door handle doesn't use a cable only the inner handle uses the cable, but if the cable is messing up it could cause the latch bind wich will break the handle so it should still be checked.

As long as it opens from the inside your problem is your exterior door handle.

Edited by mikaleda

HELP!!

Just tried to figure out what's going on with my 2005 Legacy Wgn Drivers door handle !

I can open door from inside !

I took off the panel.

I couldn't see anything oblivious .

I was able to remove the 10 mm bolt from the back of the outside handle.

I can see, but can't remove the 10 mm bolt from the upper left side !

I can put a wrench on it, but that's it !

In the video I saw for a 2004 and less Outback on youtube, they did a step by step thing to take the outside handle off!

I suspect they are similar BUT not the same !

I  remember them taking out the lock tumbler easily, I just couldn't figure out how to do it ! And it's plastic, don't want to break it !

I suspect that it is in the way of the other bolt removal !

Has anybody actually replaced one of these outside handles on a 2005 + Legacy ??

Just what IS the trick ?

I don't want to buy another handle if it's ONLY the rod has fallen off !

HELP !! SubeeTed

I have replaced a couple on '05 outback and yes they are a pain to get out. I've found that the best way to get to the second bolt is to plug the window switch back in and roll the window down. That will give you access to the second bolt. Getting them back in is a bit harder.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Just how do you deal with the lock tumbler ?

After I ( hopefully ) get the 2nd bolt out, will I be able to figure out how to undo the plastic thing around the tumbler ?

Or doesn't come into play with the window out of the way ??

THANKS !! Subeeted