Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a shifting issue...no clue. It's sluggish starting out and lacks power, and it just developed today. The TPS I the other day but I'm uncertain how to tell if it is adjusted right because I don't understand how to use my multimeter. Help!

i  think you have isolated the problem.

the TPS is not adjusted correctly.

this has caused a trouble code in the auto trans ,

which has forced it into ''limp mode''.

the trans defaults to 3rd gear and does not shift.

is your AT Temp light blinking 16 times at start up?

correct the TPS issue and you should be good to go.

Edited by johnceggleston

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I replaced the TPS, but since I still don't understand how to use my multimeter, I'm uncertain if it is adjusted right. I'm working on that. This morning, it won't start at all. During the trip home last night, there was a bad bearing sound and I think it may be a timing belt idler pulley so that could help me understand why it won't start. Maybe the timing slipped a few teeth. I suppose if the timing were off it could affect how the transmission works as well as the performance of the engine?

Took the timing belt off, and discovered the idler pulleys are shot. In fact, one of them -the toothed one- was completely destroyed and all its bearings scattered. No idea how we made it home last night. Now I just have to remember how to handle the timing...if I put a pencil in the no.1 cylinder while the cam sprockets are set @ tdc and run the piston up to top, I think I should be good to go. Is that right?

Now I just have to remember how to handle the timing...if I put a pencil in the no.1 cylinder while the cam sprockets are set @ tdc and run the piston up to top, I think I should be good to go. Is that right?

No, no cylinder is at tdc when doing a timing belt on Subaru. There's a couple good PDF's that were on endwrench about how to do it. If you have the 2.5L DOHC that is a little more tricky due to having to manage aligning both cams on each side.