Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiper stalk clicking? 95' Legacy Wagon L

Low and high speeds work correctly, but I've been experiencing an issue with the intermittent wiper setting where it's been clicking at the column stalk base and not working as it should. 

Is this a common issue? If so, what's typically causing it? Almost sounds like it has a tiny relay at the base of the stalk that's getting erratic power and will work/not work if the arm is moved slightly. Would rather fix it than replace, although it might be a good time to try and upgrade to a variable speed intermittent from an Outback if possible?

I think there's been a few posts where people said they took it out and cleaned out some kind of gunked up grease inside them and got it working. I replaced it on my '00obw and it was a really simple replacement. My '96 it does make a clicking almost buzzing sound when first engaged or if the stalk is jiggled while the wipers are on but so far it still is working ok.

I was trying to find some threads on it but I think I might have gotten that confused with the power window switch intermittent issue. I think that's the one a few people said they cleaned this greasy ick that had metal flakes in it and it seemed to get it going again.

With the stalk assembly detached from the column, I should be able to find out what's clicking. I'll try and tear into it and see if it's fixable or not and update with results. If something is actually broken, I'll try and find a OB stalk and see if that's direct plug and play or not.