Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking at 1997 Legacy outback

Can anyone run this vin?

4S3BG6858V7636543

Also, I am relatively new to the subaru scene. Although I am decent with a wrench, I have mainly stuck with domestic vehicles until now....Meaning I am not current with all potential issues, quirks with older subaru's. 

Car:

1997 Subaru - Legacy Outback 2.5L

The car has only 144,339 miles, runs good, is very clean, all four tires still in great shape with 12,700 miles on them.

automatic trans 

Work/parts needed: 

Power steering pump reseal kit (we've been adding power steering fluid on a regular basis)
Oil pan and header gaskets 
Spark plugs with ignition wires
The A/C is not working, but there is nothing major wrong with the car, and you can still drive it. 

Thoughts? 

Check for blown head gaskets, the ej25D is known for them. If its got a skip, it could be a sign of a head gasket.. There selling it needing repairs, so they know more than they say.. Good for you is an ej22e swap is cheap if the cars worth it

thanks. its only a grand so even if it needs work i think its worth it. just worried about other issues.

historically, how are the automatic transmissions on these? 

Should I hold out for a manual? 

my daily is a 2016 wrx so I am not in any hurry...just saw a good deal for a beater and wanted to snatch it up. 

Edited by vtwinjunkie

As advised, 96-99 Subie 2.5 motors are prone to blow head gaskets. Ask owner if car is over heating. I have both a 98 and 99, and on cue, both blew their head gaskets. Some blow at around 75K miles, or as in my case at around 165K miles, the other at 185K miles. The biggest tell tale sign is to see bubbles in the over flow radiator container, when motor is at operating temperature, or if you see the temp gauge heading towards HOT. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, as over heating is easily over looked, because there is no dashboard warning light. If motor is not over heated a number of times, then replacing the head gaskets fixes the problem for roughly another 100K miles.

Other then the Head Gasket problem, Subies are very reliable, and very well made. The automatic trans is very robust, and seldom cause trouble.

The power steering pump leak is generally repairable by easily installing a replacement rubber "O" ring.

Oil pan should not leak, unless someone has already dropped the pan, then they have a tendency to leak.

The autos are fairly reliable. Torque bind and duty c functionality are the biggest issue. The engines are good to 100-150k when the head gasket blows. Some do go longer

so this engine has almost 150k on it now. the head gasket was done back in 2012.

Your saying its not worth buying unless I buy it with the intention of putting a new engine in? 

As advised, 96-99 Subie 2.5 motors are prone to blow head gaskets. Ask owner if car is over heating. I have both a 98 and 99, and on cue, both blew their head gaskets. Some blow at around 75K miles, or as in my case at around 165K miles, the other at 185K miles. The biggest tell tale sign is to see bubbles in the over flow radiator container, when motor is at operating temperature, or if you see the temp gauge heading towards HOT. Keep an eye on the temp gauge, as over heating is easily over looked, because there is no dashboard warning light. If motor is not over heated a number of times, then replacing the head gaskets fixes the problem for roughly another 100K miles.

Other then the Head Gasket problem, Subies are very reliable, and very well made. The automatic trans is very robust, and seldom cause trouble.

The power steering pump leak is generally repairable by easily installing a replacement rubber "O" ring.

Oil pan should not leak, unless someone has already dropped the pan, then they have a tendency to leak.

Do you think the motor will go another 100k miles? or do they wear out after 180k? 

so this engine has almost 150k on it now. the head gasket was done back in 2012.

Your saying its not worth buying unless I buy it with the intention of putting a new engine in?

Depends on if it was done right and heads were resurfaced or not. The gaskets won't last long if its quick repaired. With them saying it needs plugs and wires suggests it has a skip. That could be from a head gasket leaking coolant in the cyls Edited by matt167

Do you think the motor will go another 100k miles? or do they wear out after 180k? 

The motors generally will go another 100K miles after a quality head gasket replacement, before possible head gasket trouble again. Over all, count on a well maintained Subie motor running well to at least 300K miles. With the head gasket repaired on my '99 2.5, at 185K miles,(same motor as used in '97 model), my car now has 232K miles on the odometer, and it is still running strong with no issues.

Most people on this Subaru forum wrench on their cars to some degree. If you buy the '97, and decide to wrench on the car, you will be happy to see how easy they are to work on for the most part. Belts, alternator, starter are so easily swapped out. There is even a drain plug on the automatic transmission to easily drain the ATF. I never owned a domestic car with that feature. Changing brake pads is super easy. Only difficult part is changing spark plugs and head gaskets due to the flat boxer engine design.

What I really like is the smoothness of the 4 cylinder engine due to the boxer design. Much more so, then an in line 4 cylinder motor, particularily at high RPM.

Depends on if it was done right and heads were resurfaced or not. The gaskets won't last long if its quick repaired. With them saying it needs plugs and wires suggests it has a skip. That could be from a head gasket leaking coolant in the cyls

With them saying it needs plugs and wires suggests it has a skip. That could be from a head gasket leaking coolant in the cyls...............

not sure I agree with this statement. A blown head gasket on a '97 with the 2.5 will push exhaust gas into the cooling system causing over heating. I am not aware that coolant leaks into the combustion chambers to cause a spark plug "miss."

The 99 Lego sus that i had, ran perfect till it got to about operating temp. At that point it would skip so bad it was dropping cylinders. Shortly after it was blatent overheating. After I pulled that engine, I checked the plugs and they were clean and smelled like coolant.. A weeping gasket with a little coolant in the cyl would do it and the exhaust gas might not even make it in if the gasket is still sealed for the most part

The motors generally will go another 100K miles after a quality head gasket replacement, before possible head gasket trouble again. Over all, count on a well maintained Subie motor running well to at least 300K miles. With the head gasket repaired on my '99 2.5, at 185K miles,(same motor as used in '97 model), my car now has 232K miles on the odometer, and it is still running strong with no issues.

Most people on this Subaru forum wrench on their cars to some degree. If you buy the '97, and decide to wrench on the car, you will be happy to see how easy they are to work on for the most part. Belts, alternator, starter are so easily swapped out. There is even a drain plug on the automatic transmission to easily drain the ATF. I never owned a domestic car with that feature. Changing brake pads is super easy. Only difficult part is changing spark plugs and head gaskets due to the flat boxer engine design.

What I really like is the smoothness of the 4 cylinder engine due to the boxer design. Much more so, then an in line 4 cylinder motor, particularily at high RPM.

Thanks,

This gives me hope. I am pretty well when it comes to wrenching (meaning I am not afraid to try although I dont do it for a living). I have done a few timing belts on the 1.8t and 2.0t audi's over the years and rebuilt various motorcycles from the cases up. Not a pro but not a novice...

The 99 Lego sus that i had, ran perfect till it got to about operating temp. At that point it would skip so bad it was dropping cylinders. Shortly after it was blatent overheating. After I pulled that engine, I checked the plugs and they were clean and smelled like coolant.. A weeping gasket with a little coolant in the cyl would do it and the exhaust gas might not even make it in if the gasket is still sealed for the most part

This is great info. 

When I go to check out the car I will just let it get good and warmed up and check for gremlins. making sure everything runs as it should....If not I might walk. I just dont need this car bad enough to put up with alot of engine work right now outside of the basic maintenance items listed. 

This is great info. 

When I go to check out the car I will just let it get good and warmed up and check for gremlins. making sure everything runs as it should....If not I might walk. I just dont need this car bad enough to put up with alot of engine work right now outside of the basic maintenance items listed. 

When a 97 has a head gasket problem, it will idle all day, and not over heat. However, put a load on the motor by driving at highway speed, or climbing hills, and the added stress will cause the bad head gasket to allow exhaust gas into the coolant to cause the over heating. So, drive the car around to see if it over heats.

• Like 1