Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer wants $3000 to reseal front and rear Timing Cover

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I appreciate everyone's expertise and time...

So while I was out of town, my wife took the car to our local Subaru Dealership because of a leak coming from the car coupled with an odd smell. After investigating, the dealership has said "we need to reseal the front and rear timing cover, and also replace a split boot we found as well"

Total cost they are saying is $3000.

Does this sound right or should I get the car before they start the work and get a second opinion? Thanks in advance :)

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the response. They are saying the boot is related to axle. As far as the price, they stated the labor of having to take the engine out is a "24 hour job" and that's why it's so expensive.

They haven't started work on it yet. I'm debating if I should take the car to a friend of a friend, and have him work on it. 

Edited by repdetect2

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the response. They are saying the boot is related to axle. As far as the price, they stated the labor of having to take the engine out is a "24 hour job" and that's why it's so expensive.

They haven't started work on it yet. I'm debating if I should take the car to a friend of a friend, and have him work on it.

Do you have an H6?

"we need to reseal the front and rear timing cover".............. The timing cover is simply a cover, it is not sealed. Nothing there to leak. The odd smell may indeed be the grease from the split boot on an axle. That stuff does smell nasty, when some of it comes out and vaporizes if in contact with the exhaust system.

Having a half shaft axle replaced, or perhaps only the boot replaced on the axle is not expensive. No where near $3,000. I would be reluctant to go to that dealer for any work. It would be interesting to read an itemized break down of estimated intended work. Ask for an estimate via email, and please post here on this forum.

Recommend you get a second opinion. Take to the friend of a friend would be a good idea.

Not enough information here to say whether that's accurate or not.

First off, more information about your car. I assume that since we're talking about an oil leak from the timing cover, that we're talking about a timing chain engine, which narrows it down to the 6-cylinders, or the FB-series 4-cylinder (2013+ Legacy/Outback, 2011+ Forester, 2012+ Impreza). But still, that only gets us to 2 engines, and about 10 years....

It would also be pertinent to know what kind of mileage is on the car, any other issues you've had, maintenance, etc.

Also doesn't seem like I have enough information to know what they're doing. Both of those engine options have a front timing cover, which does need to be resealed occasionally, but it's not a huge job. Neither has a rear timing cover that I know of, the front cover bolts to surfaces right on the cam carrier, cylinder head, and engine block. Do you have any written quote information? A parts list?

Replacing an axle boot is a common job, and not terribly difficult. Probably $50 in parts, I'd guess 0.8 - 1 hour in labor (We charge $110/hr here).

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

It sounds outrageous, maybe they are looking to pick up slack in their budget as their overhead must be large.  How busy did they seem?

Always get second or third opinions, check with the local Napa or other auto parts place to see who they recommend, they may recommend several places.

Plus I would get it in writing, take some pictures and post on this or other Subaru blog sites to get feedback.  Check their online feedback and reviews; you could also check with the state AG to see if they have complaints in their records.  Do your DD.

• Like 1

Actually, the EZ series of 6 cyl engines do have front/rear (or inner/outer) timing covers. These also house the timing chains, water pump, oil pump, and assorted sprockets and guides for the chains.

They are a nightmare: the bolts (114 of them IIRC) must be taken out in a specific sequence and installed in a specific sequence.  And then torqued in a specific sequence.

BUT, I have NEVER heard of any of them needing to be resealed!  Do you have an oil leak?  Have you personally verified it? 

I know Las Vegas (I'm assuming Nevada) does not have many shops that will touch a Subaru.  I have not heard good things about the dealers there either.  BUT,  if your "friend of a friend" doesn't know exactly what he's doing, this engine is not to be messed with by anyone that doesn't know them inside-out.

The axle boot? Almost any import shop can do that for you.

Emily

Actually, the EZ series of 6 cyl engines do have front/rear (or inner/outer) timing covers. These also house the timing chains, water pump, oil pump, and assorted sprockets and guides for the chains.

They are a nightmare: the bolts (114 of them IIRC) must be taken out in a specific sequence and installed in a specific sequence.  And then torqued in a specific sequence.

BUT, I have NEVER heard of any of them needing to be resealed!  Do you have an oil leak?  Have you personally verified it? 

I know Las Vegas (I'm assuming Nevada) does not have many shops that will touch a Subaru.  I have not heard good things about the dealers there either.  BUT,  if your "friend of a friend" doesn't know exactly what he's doing, this engine is not to be messed with by anyone that doesn't know them inside-out.

The axle boot? Almost any import shop can do that for you.

Emily

Just so it's known, my mothers car 2009 Tribeca H6  130k blah blah blah. Has a seriously oil leak coming from the timing chain area. I haven't done any work to it because of how much a PITA it is. So until it's leaking bad enough to be worried about running the car low. We're just going with it

Just wanted to info the group that I've seen it on an H6.

Just so it's known, my mothers car 2009 Tribeca H6  130k blah blah blah. Has a seriously oil leak coming from the timing chain area. I haven't done any work to it because of how much a PITA it is. So until it's leaking bad enough to be worried about running the car low. We're just going with it

Just wanted to info the group that I've seen it on an H6.

One word of caution on that: the tensioners are lubricated by the engine oil.  If it gets low, you run the chance of having one seize up (same thing with lack of oil changes).  The damage that causes is far more than $3000.

Your's is officially the first I (personally) have heard of.  Of course, nothing is impossible!

Emily