Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear drive loyale conversion?

Yes, it is Possible both conversions, 4WD and RWD. Briefly, let me explain it:

4WD is somehow easier, because you can find a donor vehicle and swap all the needed parts over; RWD requires more fabrication, but still you'll need a 4WD gearbox in order to have a driveshaft; in Honduras, is common to retrofit the rear solid axle from the early 1980's decade Corolla, including their leaf suspension... you can see photos here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/88248-rear-wheel-drive-loyale/

To get RWD, others simply remove both front axles on a 4WD setup... However, the 4WD transmission and its rear Differential will suffer premature wear...

Kind Regards.

I have also done a 4WD conversion. You'll need the transmission, driveshaft, and basically the entire rear suspension.

driveshaft carrier bearing has nowhere to mount. Several ways to do it, I had a one-piece shaft made....

Rear diff hanger will have nowhere to bolt. I drilled and tapped, which worked great for something like 7 years and 60k miles (car was killed last summer when the last owner drove drunk and crashed it.....rear diff still attached).

RWD....depends how you want to do it. Do a 4WD swap with a true 4WD Subaru transmission, lock it in 4WD, disassemble the front axle shafts, beat on it until it breaks. Transmission output will probably be the weak link.

That's about the only way with the stock engine. there are several options for beefier RWD transmission that will bolt to an EJ/EG/EZ/FA/FB Subaru engine, but not for an EA. It is possible to make a custom adapter plate/flywheel/clutch to use something else...but it would be a one-off.

• Like 1

If you also want it lifted Patrick makes and sells kits out here in sandy too. He could convert it over while installing the lift if you don't want to do it your self. I'm converting my 82 coupe from auto fwd over to a manual 4wd currently and resealing the engine. Is a manual or auto? Are you keeping it auto or manual? The 3at's suck so i wouldn't go that route. I have the whole rear suspension, drive line, and a 5 speed push button 4wd.

hey Forrest, will that 3AT FWD from the '82 coupe, fit into my '85 EA82 wagon?

Yes it will bolt right up they're the same as ea82's. It only has 162 thousand on it. The engine that was in it was ran low on oil while being driven from prineville to bend by the original owners. I also have a 4wd 3at with 197 thousand that came out of a 83 ea81t wagon with a seized turbo. I would take $75 for both of them together with torque converters/flex plates just to get rid of them.

• 3 years later...