Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've concluded that my '99 Subaru is not worth sinking engine work into, with blown head gaskets, over 300K miles, etc..  No way getting around the approximate $1000 replacing the engine, or doing the head gaskets with unknown other potential engine issues, now I'm getting water vapor coming out the exhaust.

I looked through the Bargain News listings:  http://www.bargainnews.com/userserv_adwatch_view.cfm?awe_id=10112328C1849&freq=weekly

Anything here promising?

How about this one?  I'll check CL.

1999 SUBARU LEGACY   1044425.jpgwhite, 180,000 mi, Air, CD, 5 Spd Std, Alloy Wheels, Air Bags, 4 Cyl, AWD, Manuel transmission.Had it since 2012, 3rd owner, just had the timing belt, water pump & radiator done (I have the paperwork). Starter done 2014, ignition replaced 2013. Did oil changes faithfully. All highway mileage, it was an awesome car. No lights on dash, check engine light does come on & off sometimes. On 01/16/16, car kept shutting off. Every time I got it to start & drove it, it just keeps shutting off. It also makes a weird noise. I just put in $1,200 this past summer. I don't want to put anymore money into it. We aren't sure what's wrong with it. Tow is recommended. It does have new speakers that are about 4 years old, a TV, HIDs and tinted windows. Clean body, no rust or dents. A/C and heat work GREAT. SERIOUS inquires only. Any reasonable offer will be considered. NEED it gone ASAP

You would be taking too much of a chance that you can fix the problem and get it running.  I wouldn't buy a car that had to be towed anyway unless I planned to replace the motor.  Plus if the car has the 2.5 DOHC motor, which is the worst motor subaru has made, I wouldn't buy it under any conditions.

It should have a 2.2L being its not a GT or outback/SUS unless it was swapped.. But I wouldn't touch it for anything more than parts if it was nice enough to consider rebuild. Big risk even if the car was only $1k

Edited by matt167

If yours is rust free, I'd stick with it. Reseal the engine. coolant can get burned a few ways - intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, headgaskets, cracked head. I haven't heard that cracked heads are common on legacies. I am more familiar with the older models. Miles don't matter much to me.

The one in the ad, the engine could have a small problem, or could be totally shot. In these ages and mileages, I just assume (and it has been my experience ) that the engine is due for a reseal anyway, no getting around that. Still way cheaper than car payments. Buy the dead one as a parts source maybe, if it has the same engine and driveline as your current car.

coolant can get burned a few ways - intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket

FYI, coolant does not run through either of those gaskets on an EJ like it does on an EA. Head gaskets, or cracked block/head is the only way I know of that coolant can get burned in an EJ.

I probably would take a shot at that '99 you listed. It's a 2.2, so probably not something major. It'd be worth making a phone call, or even a visit to try to get more information about its symptoms. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something fairly simple.

99 EJ22's are not as reliable as they're 98 and earlier predecessors.

if i were looking at it there are two major points i'd hone in on to avoid pulling an engine:

the water pump/radiator replacements - are they chasing headgasket issues?  why and in what order were the replaced?  if radiator....then water pump....sounds like chasing overheating and possible headgasket issues. 

shutting off and check engine light and recently replaced timing belt - was the belt replaced because it broke, was it improperly replaced - both of which could cause valve damage, poor compression, poor idling. 

i'm not suggesting a diagnosis - but both of those are common enough on poor running, cheap, craiglist specials i'd definitely investigate and hesitate on assuming "best case scenario". 

Owner says selling for $750 or obo.................. Pretty hard to sell a non running old car for much more then just for parts value. Possibly worth buying for $500 or less, with the thought that it will probably take another motor to put it back on the road. As others have said, the problems with that car can easily stem from over heating because of a blown head gasket, or broken timing belt. Just because current owner put $1200 into the motor last summer means little, since motor still does not run.

Water vapor out a tail pipe is NORMAL. That's part of what the cat does. It's typically more noticeable after idling a warm engine on a mildly cold morning, and often drips out when you drive away. Some cars seem to have more water than others (Ford V8 cars), to the point you can see it exiting the tail pipes as they pull away from at a stop light, etc.

$750 or b/o isn't a bad deal, especially if they are willing to basically do whatever to get rid of it. A faulty crank sensor can cause engine shut downs, but w/o more info it'll be guess work.

Could even try and offer $600 cash, then part it out, or even do trades with another Subaru owner to get parts for your car.

Edited by Bushwick

• 1 month later...

But the 2.5 engine--big problem right?

Not necessarily so. That motor in that Forester would definitely be the 4 cam model. Yes, they will eventually blow the head gaskets, but if repaired correctly with minimal over heating, they are good reliable motors. My 99 has 233K miles, I replaced HGs at 185K miles, when it started to over heat, It has been running strong ever since with no issues.

Yea, at $1,200, the Forester is priced right. If you take a look at it, ask owner if he has receipts on work done. Ask, and look specifically for a receipt about head gasket repair. If you live in an area where a lot of salt is used on the roads..........look underneath the car for rust problems.