Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Squealing after car is taken on on freeway

I have a 2000 subaru legacy gt, bought a month ago. I noticed a squealing/screeching sound from the right side of car. This happens only after I took it on freeway or high speed road. The squealing goes away when braking but when released comes back. I have replaced the bearing on that side, pads in the front and it is still squealing. I had my car in the air when doing the brakes, and i put it into first and had the wheels spin, but the right front wheel wasnt spinning, so maybe thats the problem, I have no idea what it could be, help?

• Like 1

Did you replace the pad clips, too? If those get rusty, the pads can hang up, and drag. Our Outback was doing that, and when I would pull off the freeway (very gentle braking), one front brake was crazy hot (don't touch the rotors, you can feel the heat several inches away). I assume the PO had the pads replaced, but not the hardware, new clips and pin boots fixed it. 

Make sure those caliper pins are greased, and moving freely, too.

Uneven pad wear means something isn't working correctly.

Edited by Numbchux

Can you set a camera up in the car and record the sound, then post on you tube and link it? Make video at least 60 seconds. Some people make a clip 5 seconds long and it's nearly impossible to hear anything.

If pads were "wedge shaped" you should have replaced the rotor while you were at it. It's also possible your dust shields are bent, and might be touching, or you installed the pads incorrectly, their spacer shielding is broken and dragging, etc. 

If pads are dragging, you'll smell them. The odor is right up there with a slipping clutch. It's noxious, and permeates the car like skunk urine.

So I just pulled the pads off and messed with the clip and greased the pins and the noise is still there but super faint, not enough to register on a video so that won't work now haha, but i looked and the previous owner put semi metallic cheapo pads on the car so I'm thinking if the front brakes reduced the squealing then if I replace the rear brakes then the noise would be gone? And I resurfaced the front rotors when I pulled the brakes off, I'll update when I put the rear pads on, thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully that's all the car needed :)