Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Converter

hello again.  I got my '85 EA 82 wagon running again.  Turned out, most likely, that the IAC was sticking.   Now, I hear a sort of whining/grinding sound coming from the bell housing.  The car is 3AT, FWD.   In my limited AT experience, it sounds like the torque converter is making the noise.   Does anyone have any experience with these 3AT's ?   Maybe a sleeve replacement ...   help !

Here is the story ...   Car had 85,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2013.    HG's were shot, so I had GD pull the motor and put new HG's on.   He then convinced me the motor had rod knock, so he bought a junkyard short block and installed that.    So, yes, the motor was pulled.    After I got the car back (3 months later), I noticed the whining sound coming from the torque converter.   It would kind of 'go away' after a few miles of driving... but could still hear it faintly. So, something he did when he put the motor back in, was eff'd up.   Now, 10,000 miles later, the whining is paired with an 'errr'  'errr'  sound.   Does this immediately upon startup.  Sound continues when in Drive, Reverse, Neutral, Park.    After the car warms up for a few miles, the sound subsides a little.   Sometimes, it will stop... then come back again.

ATF has been changed twice.  Fluid levels are good.

I saw on RockAuto, they sell a sleeve.   What is that for?   Or, do I need a new torque converter?

I had something not go back together quite right when swapping an engine once.  My memory of the situation is fuzzy.  Check underneath where the flywheel is partially exposed, and covered by a small piece of bolted on steel.  Make sure it isn't rubbing on that.

First off, I know GD. He may be an a** sometimes, but he is a damn good mechanic so that little quip is unnecessary and counterproductive. The car is 30 years old so trying to pin the blame on someone for a noise that cropped up 3 MONTHS after the work is ridiculous. I understand you're frustrated. That being said...

It is neither the flex plate nor the inspection cover and I highly doubt it is the torque converter. Flex plate and inspection cover would create constant, fixed decibel noise that changes pitch with speed. I've also never seen a TC that didn't have a lock up clutch, whine.  Most likely, the front pump is making the noise or you have an input bearing issue. The only way to know is pull the tranny then remove the front cover to inspect the pump and bearing. Make sure to keep everything very clean while doing this and don't wipe anything off with a rag or paper towel. Use brake clean. Auto's don't like little particles floating around inside.