Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder sleeve blows out

Most spark plug thread chasers have a wide hex that won't fit down the plug hole on the 2.2.

If it was spinning and he couldn't get the plug out, more than likely it pulled all the threads out of the head anyway. Threading in a new plug will probably only grab enough threads to have it blow out again after the engine gets warmed up.

Am I still reading right? Proceeding with a helicoil without ever trying a thread chaser? Like doing head gaskets without checking to see if you've got a coolant leak or faulty thermostat.

Since I only have the thread chaser and helicoil set apparently without the other tools necessary to use them I will look around for a mechanic.

Get an old plug. Get an old/cheap 16mm deep socket. 1/4" drive sockets will be thinnest but a craftsman 3/8" chrome socket will do.

Take your old plug. Using either a cutoff tool or a file or grind 7 or 8 lines in the plug threads. The lines or grooves go from the bottom of the threads up. Your cutting across the threads. Make sure the lines are as straight as you can get them go as far,up the plug thread as you can.

JB-weld the plug into your cheapO socket. Let dry.myou now have a thread chaser that will fit.

Edited by shoebee2

1.  chase the threads - install a new spark plug - as aleady mentioned you likely didn't strip them all

2.  helicoil - get a long drill bit or extension

3.  get a "no drill required" kit: 

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/fix-a-thred-m14-1.25-plug-saver-kit-1-each-insert-s-n-l-98141/9020056-P

i'm pretty sure seeing a repair kit 10 years ago that's a self tapping insert - which then has a different (smaller) sized spark plug you thread into it.  but a search yielded nothing, maybe i'm dreaming. 

A friend came by to help, but the self-tapping insert requires a narrower t style wrench to either chase the threads or do the helicoil insert preparation.