Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2006 Legacy. I need to replace my front and rear struts, what is the best online parts distributor to order parts from?

Or if you happen to live in the Western New York area, an auto-shop outside of the dealership that specializes in working on Subarus and other foreign cars?   Much Appreciated!

Rock Auto is the defacto site. They have a wide variety, carry hard to source bits, and typically have excellent prices, even after shipping is figured in. They even run rebates with some items. Monroe likes to offer discounted incentives.

https://www.rockauto.com/

Other site I'm fond of is tire rack. They sell brand name tires w/o the middleman. They also sell rims at extremely affordable prices w/o crazy mark ups. If you buy tires for example, keep in mind you still have to pay for mounting and balancing locally, but many local shops have a working partnership with tire rack and will honor the install. Can see on tire rack  what local shops will.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/parts_accessories/suspension.html

• Like 1

I typically use rock auto if I can wait the extra time for shipping. Bought 4 struts with mounts shipped to CT for like 350 with promo code. And those were the KYB's (which if you're getting struts for your subie. Get KYB's. 

if you do go that route, here is the link on this forum from rockauto for 5% off you're entire order 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/157824-rockautocom-discount-code-expires-may-17-2016/

• Like 1

+1 for KYBs, through RockAuto. RockAuto's catalog is fairly accurate but it doesn't do all the work for you, just be sure to read the description of each part to make sure it fits your car.

Google "RockAuto Discount Code". They send out a 5% off code after almost every order that's good for a short time. It's not much, but it usually covers shipping.

what is the best online parts distributor to order parts from?

Or 

shipping varies wildly so it's hard to compare.  

Advance Auto is my go to source often, and usually for struts.  Pick up in store (if available) or free shipping over $50.

But there are parts I get from Subaru (headgaskets, CV boots, tstat) or Rockauto (brake hardware - clips/boots). 

Your front strut is $62 (with 5% discount) + shipping at Rockauto

$67 (with $40 off) from advance auto

After shipping basically the same price.

Both rears are $115 with shipping from Rock Auto or $122 from Advance Auto Parts and 30% off.  Buy smart/creatively and you can get 40% off - reducing the gap to zero or advance auto's favor. 

Total (using my zipcode) Rock Auto is  $247 and Advance Auto is $256 if I only use 30% off on the rears - with creative buying/discount codes and $40 off per hundred Advance Auto would be $238 and cheaper than Rock Auto. 

If they're local you can pick up parts in store 30 minutes after you order it online, buy more parts than you need and easily return what you don't use, rent tools, compare parts, look at their computer screen, verify parts yourself, store has helped me out before with parts issues.  I'd pay a little more for all that benefit - but usually I buy such that it's cheaper anyway.

• Like 1