Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at a 1998 Outback Limited

I saw a CG ad for a '98 Outback. Looks in great shape from the pics. It has 309K miles. New rear CV axles (I'm guessing the front were done previously, new ball joints, new tires, new brakes. Small exhaust leak at one of the flanges. Seems to have been well maintained, but how many more miles should I reasonably expect to get from the engine and transmission? What other issues should I be looking for on a 300K + mile survivor? I'm thnking any EJ25D with those kinds of miles must have had new headgaskets long ago.

Suggest you ask seller what maintenance has been done on the car, and hopefully receipts kept to be able to show you. Good that ball joints, tires, and brakes are new. That shows the seller kept up the car. Head gaskets would have been replaced once or twice by now. Hard to say how much more life left in the motor and tranny. Drive the car, and see how it drives. Still could be a good car, but needs to be bought on the cheap with the high miles.

I was tempted to check it out as I could have gotten rid of my Impreza at the same time, but my car being 7 years newer and half the miles was worth at least $1,500 more. The Outback's owner didn't have that kind of cash, or anything else I needed, so I passed on the deal.