Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey there guys!

Okay so I'm in a bit of a pickle.

My 2004 outback was broken into and the people who broke in tore the ignition to bits and ruined the copper transponder coil.

So i took all that off and replaced it with a second hand one, have swapped the chips over in the key and the remote unlocker also.

Have tried to start it and it turns over once and then cuts out. Have tried things like disconnecting the negitive battery putting the key in, cable back on and trying to start it.

Does anyone have a clue to about whats going on?

Cheers, Ben

What all was damaged?   The steering column and ignition - is that it?

I would get the wiring diagram for the ignition and trace all the wires to make sure they're connecting properly and see exactly what other components could have been affected.   

maybe a relay, battery, or starter/solenoid may have been damaged in the process of the ignition shorting out?

If the ignition was the only thing damaged then I wolud think it's supporting wiring was compromised or related parts to ignition/starting, like a relay, battery, starter, or solenoid, were damged. 

I doubt this is the case since the engine does oddly turn over once -but check the fuses particularly the main fuse box in the engine bay.

have swapped the chips over in the key 

US models don't have a chip in the key - so if yours does it may be distinctly different?
what do you mean you "swapped chips"?
  • Like 1

What all was damaged? The steering column and ignition - is that it?

I would get the wiring diagram for the ignition and trace all the wires to make sure they're connecting properly and see exactly what other components could have been affected.

maybe a relay, battery, or starter/solenoid may have been damaged in the process of the ignition shorting out?

If the ignition was the only thing damaged then I wolud think it's supporting wiring was compromised or related parts to ignition/starting, like a relay, battery, starter, or solenoid, were damged.

I doubt this is the case since the engine does oddly turn over once -but check the fuses particularly the main fuse box in the engine bay.

US models don't have a chip in the key - so if yours does it may be distinctly different?

what do you mean you "swapped chips"?

Ahh they had damaged the copper coil transponder, damaged the ignition barrel and apart from that just the plastic trim. Yea so inside the key there's a little black chip, the guy at the second hand parts store told me that's what tunes into your car. So swapped that from the old key to the new one, but I try turn it over and get nothing 3x then on the 4th it will try turn over once.

Cheers from NZ

kamoblindside7,

You may have to get the car to a dealership and have them set up the system. It may well be that the security system has to be paired with the CPU using their tech scanner or such.

It may well be worth a call to the dealership to confirm. Good Luck!