Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 from '96 Weird random misfires, dying, and general bad running.

Hello, 

My 1996 Impreza 2.2L wagon has had some issues lately which I have been unable to track down, It all started with random little misfires at low RPM's under load, usually in 1st, and 2nd gear. twice it has just ran like crap with misfires all over the place, and once it has died because of this. So since no work has really been done to the car since before I got it, I replaced some common parts for a engine with 215K on it. 

Parts replaced with known good parts, and or new.

-Coil Pack off of a '98 2.5 Forester, it ran great until the rod cap blew a hole in the block

-Spark plugs have been replaced with NGK plugs.

-Cleaned the crap out of the MAF sesnor, and throttle plate

-Currently running no Cats to make sure that in case they where clogged, that wasn't the issue, had p0420 code in it. 

-The o2 sensor are good, and respond quickly, so no issues there. 

I am leaning to the ignition module being bad some way due to the problem just randomly happening. it does appear to happen when the vehicle goes though puddle, or it is wet outside like snow, or rain. 

Other then that it runs great, like today when it happened, I was going down my buddies driveway which is 1/2 mile long gravel driveway which had quite a few puddles, when I got to the end the car basically died, and took a while to re start, drove off, still ran bad, pulled off into a park, looked under the hood, found nothing, it started right back up and drove fine with no issues. 

kind of at a loss right now, I have some used parts off of a '93 1.8L, and my buddies Forester 2.5L, but was wondering if anybody have had an issue like this at all??

Thanks for any input, Harold.

My 99 was doing this in Oregon last month and it happened to be raining the entire time I was there. Turned out it was a fuel injector. I figure it might have been cracked and condensation got inside. Maybe pull each injector wire off when it happens again to see if you notice a change. If not it may be that cylinder. Check that cylinders spark plug wire too. Also check your connection on your crank sensor. I have had the oil pressure sensor leak onto that sensor and cause problems.

• Like 1

Mine appears to leak a lot of oil, the top of the engine is basically covered in power steering fluid, and engine oil, I know the pump is leaking p/s fluid, but I am unsure where the engine oil is coming from, I'm going to have to re seal the engine before I do any serious Rally cross in it, the front crank seal basically pours out a quart a week. Is the crank sensor on the top of these engines, or at the front? either way I can see it being oil soaked. I will ohm out the spark plug wires, and if need be buy new ngk ones, I believe that is what I have read is a good replacement. I will also test the injectors to see if one is possibly failing, or if maybe one cylinder has more misfires then another. I know with 215K parts like this will fail. I am curious if the extra set of 1.8L injectors I have will work in my 2.2L?

Not sure if the injectors will interchange. The Oil Pressure sensor is right above the Crank Sensor and just below the alternator. It's kind of funny but I've had a bad wire that cause misfires followed by a bad injector, followed by water getting in my spark plug hole and finally followed by power steering fluid leaking and filling my number one spark plug hole, all of which happened within a couple months and all of which created a random misfire like you describe. My gut feeling is it's probably a bad wire.

Not sure if the injectors will interchange. The Oil Pressure sensor is right above the Crank Sensor and just below the alternator. It's kind of funny but I've had a bad wire that cause misfires followed by a bad injector, followed by water getting in my spark plug hole and finally followed by power steering fluid leaking and filling my number one spark plug hole, all of which happened within a couple months and all of which created a random misfire like you describe. My gut feeling is it's probably a bad wire.

Thanks, I'll check it out later this week after work, it's sort of nice that both of my friends blew up their Subarus because I have a crapload of extra parts now. even a full wiring harness from the front to the back, so if I need a section of wire that's a certain color I can find it, lol. I'll keep this thread updated with what I find. 

Crank position sensor failing can cause this, as can a bad O2 sensor.

I specifically ran into a similar issue when the down stream O2 had shorted the heater element and would get random misfires, bucking, etc. though it only showed a misfire code and a heater element code.

Also ran into an issue many years ago on a SHO where the CPS loom had rubbed through on a pulley due to a previous owner/mechanic not being careful and allowing the wire to get caught in the timing cover. Wire rubbed on pulley and cost me a grand at the time getting it troubleshooted by a hack. Ford found the issue right away. It outright died twice and wouldn't restart, then it'd run fine, then it'd misfire, etc.

thanks for the input, while at my buddies shop getting some exhaust work done I did notice that both o2 sensor s where oil soaked, wires and all, one had wire that was rubbed down to the copper, I cleaned it and wrapped it in tape, but I also have a feeling that it probably fell off and is now shorting, I totally forgot about this until you mentioned the o2 sensors.