Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm inheriting a 2002 forester from my fiancé's family and it needs a new head gasket and a new timing belt (it's at 116k miles and hasn't been changed yet) so I'm just wondering which should be fixed first, or should I just drive it into the ground without fixing anything? Thanks for taking the time to answer a newbs questions.

If you're looking to keep the car for a long time, you do both at once. There is no point in doing a timing belt now and in 10k doing the head gaskets because the job overlaps. And while they're in there to do a head gasket it'd be foulish not to put a new timing belt kit in (pulleys AND water pump) Do not skimp on the pulleys, tensioners, and water pump. It's an extra like 200$ and it will save you a headache of a water pump failing after 50k on the timing belt job

If you don't plan on keeping the car. Just drive it. I mean, it may break it may not. But if you don't plan on keeping he car, why put 2k into it.

Get a Gates or Mitsuboshi Timing Belt. Avoid any no-name timing belt, however cheap it is to buy.

I would also change the front crank-seal, if there is any oil leakage.

And, with the engine out, how about a new clutch-kit (clutch-plate, cover and pilot & throw-out bearings).

With the clutch disassembled, check the 'oil-separator plate' (behind the flywheel); it may need resealing, or replacing if it is plastic (but your 2002 Forester may already have the cast-aluminum plate which is less likely to leak).

And if there is any oil leakage from the camshaft-covers, then buy a new gasket-kit for the covers.

None of this work adds much time, assuming that you already have the engine out. Your Forester should have many years left.

Get a Gates or Mitsuboshi Timing Belt. Avoid any no-name timing belt, however cheap it is to buy.

I would also change the front crank-seal, if there is any oil leakage.

And, with the engine out, how about a new clutch-kit (clutch-plate, cover and pilot & throw-out bearings).

With the clutch disassembled, check the 'oil-separator plate' (behind the flywheel); it may need resealing, or replacing if it is plastic (but your 2002 Forester may already have the cast-aluminum plate which is less likely to leak).

And if there is any oil leakage from the camshaft-covers, then buy a new gasket-kit for the covers.

None of this work adds much time, assuming that you already have the engine out. Your Forester should have many years left.

While it is a lot more then on OP's original list, I completely agree. Do all the work once so you don't have to pull the engine 3 times in 3 years.

you have't told us enough about the headgasket issue yet - there's a few possible failure modes that mean different things.  i'm going to assume the normal, more benign failures of an OEM installed factory headgaset (not a replacement thats leaking). 

ideally you do both because the labor to do the headgaskets includes removing the timing belt - so it's essentially *free* to replace the timing belt, there's literally ZERO work.  makes no sense not to do it that way. 

but if it really comes down the posed question - this is an easy question: 

do the timing belt immediately. 

it's FIFTEEN years old - they're supposed to be replaced after 7 years. they degarde, the materials are not likely in good condition.  that's like changing your oil every 15,000 miles (on conventional oil) which most people would call stupid. 

if the timing belt breaks the valves will be bent = more expensive to repair. 

if the timing belt breaks = you're stranded. 

the headgaskets on those: 

1. if it's leaking coolant externally then change the coolant and add Subaru coolant conditioner and SOHC EJ25 OEM installed gaskets with initials leaks stop leaking every time. 

2. if it's leaking oil just keep topping it off - they'll run 50,000+ miles like that and generally get worse slowly and never puke all the oil, so there's zero risk in terms of driving. 

no break downs, no risk of further damaged, possibility of a $2.50 repair (You haven't told us enough yet about the headgasket leak), no reason to replace headgaskets now. 

• Like 1