Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking that I need a Subaru but I don't even know where to start.  I'm a small car fan, so the Legacy is out and I'm poor as a church mouse so a new model is out.  Where can I find a listing of the models which might be had for abt $5K.  4wd is good - sporty is also good but not so sporty that some teenager has already flogged half to death.  Also what's this I hear abt ubiquitous head problems. 

Waiting for expert help - - tommyt

For 5 gs, You'll be looking for a mid 90's to about 2004 Impreza or Legacy. 95-99 Legacy is only 4" longer than an Impreza. 

If you really want the small car feel. Find a 2 door Impreza. 

Check out Cars101.com for model and trim level specifics. Scroll about halfway down the list on the left side to the archive section. 

• Like 1

The most reliable engine Subaru made was the 2.2 liter EJ22 (used up through 1999 in the Legacy and 2001 in the Impreza). The various incarnations of the EJ25 engine are the ones with head gasket issues. All 1996- '99 EJ25 headgaskets fail by 150K miles or so, where head gasket failures are more sporadic from 2000-.

For size, the earlier Imprezas were compact. The newer ones built today are the same size as the 90's Legacy's were.

I see you are from Indiana, so am I, (Indianapolis). Check out used Subarus for sale on Craig's list. From where you live, Craig's list from Indy, Cincy, and Louisville should be helpful to you. I only look at cars for sale by owner, but that is just my preference.

you might ask about Subarue xperienced independent mechanics near your city. Maybe drive by , visit, ask tell them what you're thinking about buying and ask how much they would charge for a pre-purchase inspection, Schmooze a little - take them some donuts in the morning w'ever. Maybe get a chance to ask if they have any customers that might be trading-up soon.

Your description suggests finding a solid 1993-1998 Impreza (Especially the Outback Sport edition) These came with the phase 1 Ej22 which is the most durable motor subaru made since the 80s EA81 push rod motors.

For top reliability, disregard the comment for 1999 and newer imprezas as they featured the Phase 2 motors and were as prone to head gasket failures as their SOHC EJ25 counterparts. Not a bad motor but not nearly as durable as earlier ones.

Read up on here on what to look for. On a 93-98 I would not be scared of high mileage. Look to see that the car was well maintained, is not a rust bucket. Check for torque bind and fluids, etc. These motors commonly go over 300k and have seen a handful top 500k

• Like 1

the older the vehicles in question get, the less important the reliability reputation from WHEN THEY WERE NEW. The individual car's history and care - plus its current condition - are the most important issues.

a late 90s 2.2 might have an OK engine, but a trans that is about to blow. A newer 2.5 that has had a new shortblock and MLS gaskets installed by a good mechanic, 'could' be MUCH more reliable over-all.

shop carefully, consider having a soob-experienced mechanic do an inspection, and you shouldn't do any worse than most of us when buying a used car. ALL used cars come with risk.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

For cars around 10k $ I found a local guy that buys higher milage subarus, with decent bodies. He then goes through the driveline, does headgaskets and all the typical stuff that is known likely failures. Sells for less than I could go into a local dealer and get a low milage car, that will have the headgasket problems. And he has a better warranty.

For my cars, EA82s, I buy from people, and expect to spend a grand getting everything up to par.