Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to set the timing in my 1992

For some reason the timing marks wont show up.  We bought a new timing light thinking the other 1 we had wasnt working right.  We've looked in the manual but cant find any different info on how or what we might be doing wrong.  i'm kinda thinking we need to pull the distributor out & reset it or look to see if its even lined up right. The green connections under the hood on the passenger side is plugged in while trying to find the marks but nothing shows?  i'm a lil stuck, its leaking oil out out of the throttle body & down the air intake to the air filter box.  its been sitting for a week & really need to figure this out.  Anyone have any ideas?

thanks,

chris 

There is an access port where the engine meets the trand. Remove the rubber plug. Try rotating the crank by hand with a wrench until the marks show up. Color them in with white chalk and they will show up. 

Be sure your timing light is triggering off piston one which is the front most on the passenger side.

• Like 1

The oil leak thing has nothing to do with the timing.

Oil In the intake is from blow by or possibly pcv valve malfunction. Valve cover breather hoses bring oil vapor up to the intake boot and it gets everywhere after a while. There always seems to be some as far as I can recall, been running these EA82 engines since 1988.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this an engine that currently runs? By that I mean are you trying to check the timing or are you trying to complete a repair such as changing the timing belts? 

If the engine you're working on currently runs and you can't see the timing marks, your light is probably not hooked up to the number one plug (like Mr. Loyale had mentioned) make sure the light is firing from the #1 sparkplug or else you probably won't see the timing marks. 

If you just changed the timing belts and are verifying the camshafts are correctly timed to the crankshaft, those are a completely different set of marks yet still on the flywheel

Also, like Mr. Loyale mentioned, the timing marks are on the flywheel, so if you are pointing the gun at the harmonic balancer -- which is typical for many makes but NOT Subaru, you will never see the marks until you are looking for them on the flywheel -- which means removing the rubber plug where the tranny/engine marriage takes place

and the green connectors should be in the mess or wires under the steering column (on the inside of the car) 

as far as I know, they are not accessible from under the hood, and make sure those are not plugged in after the engine is timed, they should be unplugged during normal driving conditions, if they are left connected your Loyale will run like crap