Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone else noticed that their Forester is burning through oil.  I have had to replaced about a quart of oil after just 3000 miles.  I only have 26k miles, and usually get an oil change every 7k.  I always have to add oil in between changes.  Any suggestions??

Seems like adding oil to newer Subarus is becoming normal. I have heard a number of similar comments from others. Seems like Subaru is advising using very thin oil, I guess with the thought of reducing friction to gain just a tiny bit extra fuel millage.

Just as a note to what Rooster2 said, in the new FD (FJ? idk what the new letters are) they are supposed to run 0w20 oil. Running ticker oil may cause increased consumption. 

According to Subaru they have reduced the recommended oil change interval from 7500 to 6000 (see here http://www.manchestersubaru.com/subaru-synthetic-oil.htm

I heard somewhere that on boxer engines, it is considered "normal" if you are not burning/consuming more then a qt per 1500 miles. Grant it your car has 26k on it. But i mean, oil consumption has been a problem on most EJ series engine just not as bad.

i would do a google search - this is a common issue on the first era FB engines.

Subaru has a specific oil consumption test for that engine and that exact issue - sounds like you're not loosing enough but get one done before you're out of warranty just in case.  

• Like 1

0w 20 is crazy. So is 7k mile changes (I realize this is coming from Subaru). Makes me wonder how many of these engines will even be in service in the next 10 years, as that type of consumption is high enough many people could be 2 qts low and not even know it.

Also, it makes wonder if the newer WRX high spun bearing failures are related to this? 20 oil seems very thin for an engine being worked harder. If it won't break anything, consider running a 5w 30 full synthetic and see if consumption lowers, and also note how dark oil is vs. before. If it were me and I wanted to keep the engine in top shape as long as possible, I wouldn't go over 4500 miles of light driving w/o a change. They've clearly got an issue and are apparently ignoring it. Be proactive.

Subaru's cut off is 1qt every 1,200 miles, and the issue is basically confined to a piston ring issue in the 2012-2013 model years of FB20 and FB25. They will burn right around that 1,200 mile mark until eventually burn a lot more and that happens very quickly. Subaru replaces those engines under warranty when they get that bad... The manual states you can use 5W30 every other oil change but that the 0w is needed for the hydraulic camshaft valve solenoids. The cams may not advance correctly with the wrong oil.

If it's burning 1qt in 3k miles, then I would consider that good. I had a 2014 Ford Fusion, that burned a quart in that time w/ 40k miles. That was a 1.5L Ecoboost ( Hot air Turbocharged ) running 5W20 synthetic

Maybe our expectations are changing on what's considered the norm nowadays? I could live with a slightly slow cam timing, but can't imagine it being perceptible in a fully warmed engine.

My Saab has a 2.0L with rebuilt/custom turbo and the oil level never seemed to dropped, though it does have oil squirter jets and oil cooler, and that has 175k+ miles on stock bottom end.

My Legacy doesn't seem to be burning any off either and I think it's hit 181k miles. I let the last oil change go about 4k (full synthetic Valvoline 10w 30) and while the oil was dark and ready to be changed, and despite new valve cover gaskets the damn thing still drips a tiny drop here and there; next time will add some RTV to gaskets) and the level was barely 1/8" down on the stick, which I attribute to the valve cover gaskets. All driving is the dreaded city driving with rare highway at this point.

My previous 96' Mark VIII had 62k when I bought it, and 128k when I sold it, and even running the 4.6L DOHC and I think 5w 30, it never dropped levels either and that car saw a ton of Ohio to Indiana and Ohio to PA trips, weekly, with a ton of city driving too. Only time it had an oil issue was when the oil filter adapter gasket failed, and it puked everywhere. Once fixed, it was always very close to max line level. 

It would seem the switch to mineral oil-like thickness is to appease tighter EPA regulations with no concern for if the engine will actually make it or not :(

Edited by Bushwick

• 2 weeks later...

My 2013 Forester was down a quart of oil at 800 miles and continued to need oil between changes.   At 22,500 mile service I complained to the service manager about oil use, he told me oil consumption was normal.   I came back with "my 1983 Brat with 198,000 miles doesn't use that much oil".  Then they agreed to the oil consumption test.and they had me come back at 1,200 mile.  It was down 1/2 quart and ordered a new short block for me.  I have about 2,000 miles since motor swap and doesn't appear to be using oil now.   The service manager told me if it had been down 1/3 quart of oil at 1,200 miles that would have been acceptable to Subaru, but at 1/2 quart down I got a new short block.  Got a loaner car for 5 days and all at no charge.   Easiest car warranty claim  I have ever experienced.

• 1 month later...

I received a packet of info this week from Subaru regarding a class action settlement on various Subaru models with oil consumption problems.  Subaru treated me great with a new short block late last year (see my other post).  Now they are apparently dealing with it on a much larger scale for models from 2011 to 2015.  I have scanned and attached part of this notice for your info.  This notice is 16 pages long and my scanner stopped after 3 pages, so that is all you get.   The settlement includes extension of limited power train  warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles, reimbursement for cost of some of oil used etc. etc.  You can call Subaru at 855-384-8926 for more info, but I didn't see a website listed in the letter.   Claims must be postmarked by October 1, 2016.  

Subaru class action settlement.pdf