Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995. I hot-wired the driver-side fan and it worked. I plugged it back in and started the car and it works. Thinking I should do the same to other fan just for grins. So, at least for the moment, I think the overheating issue may be under control. We'll see.

Now the only big issue (I think) is the parking lights blinking with everything turned off and the key removed. I can here something clicking in the area of the fuse box but couldn't exactly pin it down. I think it's tied to the security system but don't know. I tried undoing the battery and letting it sit. I tried locking and unlocking the doors from both outside and inside. I saw one post where if you used the fob (which I have but battery dead) you might could do some good. Your thoughts?

Did you accidentally hit the "virgin switch" bmaness?  (On top of the steering column shroud, in front of the steering wheel.)

Edit:  Ooops!  That wouldn't cause blinking would it?

Edited by Olnick

I had to look up the "virgin switch". Hilarious, but not the problem. Turning on this switch makes them stop blinking and stay on, like it's supposed to do. I think it had to do with trying to set/unset the alarm with a door sensor showing an open door. I unhooked the battery and turned the key to on overnight. I just hooked it back up and everything is good. I'm gonna say the "Amateur Subaru Repairman's Serenity Prayer ", then start it and see what happens.

It ran perfect this morning until I tried to show the OL how to disconnect the battery if it does it again and sure enough them lights started blinking again.

As I should have done from the beginning, I traced the "clicking relay sound" to the "Keyless Entry Control Unit". I unplugged the smaller of the 2 plugs going into the unit with no effect. I unplugged the big connector and the clicking sound stopped and the blinking lights quit blinking. I drove it for a bit and all systems are nominal. Hopefully what I did disables only the security system but I won't know till I drive it awhile or a member tells me I done good.

I got home after my test drive and I'll be danged if them parking lights weren't on. But, they weren't blinking. I went straight to the virgin switch and turned it off.

I am now at the hospital receiving emergency care for the 2 broken arms incurred in self-congratulation...

Thanks to all

• 3 months later...

I almost fried the ol girl (95 legacy wagon-189k) yesterday. When my morning commute came from the highway speed part to the stop and go part, the temp gauge started rising and the ac quit blowing cold. I got off the freeway and shut it down. Opened the hood and she was hot alright. Overflow tank churning.

From my experience in the previous post, I suspected the cooling fans were not coming on. I know when I'm having a problem because the ac clutch kicks out and the temp gauge starts climbing. I don't know when the fan(s) are supposed to kick in and out. I don't know what signals the fans to operate. A short in the harness perhaps. All I know is idling at ambient temps of around 100 degrees with no radiator fan coming on will run the temp gauge to the top in short order. 

I let it sit 40 minutes, while checking the fan fuses. Tugged on the fan wire harnesses for good measure. I took off the cap, filled it up with just a little water and started it back up. Thermostat opened. good circulation, so I shut the hood and went home just like nothing was ever wrong. With the ac running no less. I got home and let it idle, figuring it would overheat in short order and I could get a better feel for what was going on. Problem was, I could not get it to repeat the problem.

I saw a video where the guy hard-wired the fan to a switch operated from the cab. In my own bit of brilliance, I thought I might could rob the fog light lead and wire it to the fan lead. You could just leave the fog light switch on all the time so that the fan fires when you start the car or switch it off when not needed. 

Suggestions?