Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy sedan speedometer issue

Last night I noticed something weird

When slowing down to a stop....when I am down to like 10 MPH, all of a sudden the speedo needle bounces up to 25...then down then up to 30 then settles back to normal as I am coming to a stop.  It does a double or triple bounce like that when slowing to a stop

Then I noticed something similar when accelerating from a standstill

When I hit about 5mph, it bounces up and down a few times and then settles out

Then sometimes it acts totally normal

My tach bounces the same way when slowing sometimes. Seems to only occur in colder weather as I've only seen it happen during the winter weather and may be an odd trans issue when it's downshifting or coming out of OD and dropping to 3 or 2.

Although rare, it could be an issue with the actual speedo. If they use a sensor (and a motor?) in lieu of traditional cable, it could be slop somewhere or who knows as they might not be 100% calibrated after 20+ years and thousands of miles. If you have a donor cluster assembly on-hand, it might be worth trying to connect that and see if it does the same thing or not. TBH, I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably an age thing and unless it quits altogether, why bother? Plus, if the speedo assembly is bad, you may or may not be able to only replace the speedo section while leaving mileage alone. If not, car will have to have a disclaimer attached to the title that mileage is wrong.