Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad head gasket(s) in ej22, still coping with it

This continues to be a dilemma for me.  Vehicle only overheats at higher speeds/rpms, but not much above half way point.  I just keep adding water.  Small external leak below the radiator fill neck.  Radiator is relatively new, so it is something of a mystery.  With the head gasket job running $1000 or so, engine replacement if I decide to keep the car looks smarter.  I was driving it on the highway longer distance a couple days ago, and the upper hose on the passenger side blew out; must have been the steam.  What are the real risks here?  Gaskets will melt, no?  Will heads also warp?  

Running hot with low coolant will cause headgasket failure. Repeating this will accelerate the failure. I've caught a mild blow early, and managed to drive for a few months, but I checked coolant every day. Eventually the consumption increases and you have to face it. The number of trips you can cheat it is not predictable.

What year is the EJ22? If it's 90-98 head gaskets are a rather cheap and simple job. $50. for a pair of felpro/Fuji head gaskets and a day of wrenching. Done it without pulling the motor and sitting in the driveway. Not a big deal. Heads need to be cleaned up well but resurfacing is not essential.

99+ is the same job but 4x the price of gaskets and you gotta resurface them or get repeat failure.

But yes. You are asking for trouble and further failure by continuing to drive it with known head gasket failure. I'd find a day to fix it before you've killed it.

• Like 1

96 engine ej22; I checked with the local el cheapo mechanic and he would probably want nearly a grand for the job and I am not qualified--he said he would only want to do an engine replacement on the car @$600 because of inherent problems of problem engines.

• Like 1

risks, it's pretty simple:

what is happenging: it'll get worse over time - either 3 months or 3 years.  too many variables to quantify.

headgaskets will get worse

risks:

bearings get damaged as the oil gets compromised from overheating.  this is common and why EJ25's send rods through blocks after headgasket issues.

the coolant passages, or the area of the breach will slowly pit away as localized (even if your temp gauge doesn't move) overheating due to the failure cause the metal to wear away

cylinder liners may shift

may throw a rod

you're adding water and continue driving it overheating, leaking, and using water.  i'd think i'd pass on repairing that abused and neglected engine too. 

those engines are super easy to repair in the vehicle, the headbolts are all external and a cake walk to replace. 

risks, it's pretty simple:

what is happenging: it'll get worse over time - either 3 months or 3 years.  too many variables to quantify.

headgaskets will get worse

risks:

bearings get damaged as the oil gets compromised from overheating.  this is common and why EJ25's send rods through blocks after headgasket issues.

the coolant passages, or the area of the breach will slowly pit away as localized (even if your temp gauge doesn't move) overheating due to the failure cause the metal to wear away

cylinder liners may shift

may throw a rod

you're adding water and continue driving it overheating, leaking, and using water.  i'd think i'd pass on repairing that abused and neglected engine too. 

those engines are super easy to repair in the vehicle, the headbolts are all external and a cake walk to replace. 

Which begs the question, if they are so easy to fix, why do the mechanics I have asked all want at least $1000 to do the job?  I mean how many actual hours of labor are involved?

Which begs the question, if they are so easy to fix, why do the mechanics I have asked all want at least $1000 to do the job?  I mean how many actual hours of labor are involved?

there are tools, insurance, rent, taxes, licenses, utlitiies, accountants, lawyers, computers - owning a business is expensive.  business plans easily incur thousands of dollars a month just to break even. 

also they're probably pulling the engine, and they have a right to do it that way.  if you're tactful and conversant and have some respect you can probably talk to a mechanic and find one willing to try it in the vehicle and charge per hour - but you're still looking at a lot of hours and cost...it's not going to be "cheap" - it's still a big job.  

and are they going to resurface the heads - most places sub that out to somewhere else charging a couple hundred dollars (another business that has to make money)

you're in the rust belt - maybe the exhaust and bolts are rusty and they see problem after problem working on it. 

$1000 is very reasonable for shop prices. across the board (All auto manufacturers) I believe the average head gasket job to be in the $2500-$3500 range.

Part of why many of us are so loyal to Subaru and have taken the time to gain the knowledge to do all these jobs ourselves. Cost of tools and time but in the long run it saves a lot of $$$ and hassle. I don't worry about mechanical failures in my cars - not because they never happen but because I know I can fix them without breaking the bank. For the 90s cars the most expensive a mechanical repair can be is about $300 if I need a new block or something. Used parts and my own time and tools.

EJ22s are easy to fix. Doesn't mean it's not a long job involving skilled labor and (as mentioned) plenty of overhead. I tend to be a speedster on working on these and a head gasket job still keeps me busy for 8-10 hours. But I'd rather do 4 of these than, say , the Triton V8 in our Ford Expedition. Looked up what was involved in head gasket job on that when we had coolant consumption that was tough to find. Hope I never have to tear into that job.

Every business needs to make a reasonable amount of money.  I have worked many jobs, tree work and landscaping, I'm selling collectibles on ebay as more of a hobby business now, I pride myself as being the ethical honest alternative to some others.  I can't recall making over $50 an hour at much of anything.  There must be many mechanics that are looking for more work and don't always need to make $100 an hour or nearly that.  And mechanics could always have customers sign waivers if they want to absolve themselves of unforeseen problems within reasonable limits.  There has to be a middle ground between do it yourselfers and high wage mechanics especially if it is an easy job.